PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
So I'd like another of these tight Dublin chambers on my next pipe, sort of like the one on my Lumberman. Depth and diameter aren't really a concern, I'd prefer one that isn't huge. More important is the actual shape of the chamber. I can get my ring finger into my Lumberman about halfway before the chamber narrows too much, no calipers so that's the best measurement I can give you. In short, it has to be a drastic taper that forms an actual conical shape. None of this rounded bottom nonsense with hardly any taper! I want a real Dublin chamber!

So if anyone has any pipes that fit this description I'd love to hear about them. Would love it even more if y'all attached a picture too!

Cheers.

Oh and if anyone must know why, it's because I'm smoking some rubbed out ODF in my Medico Dublin right now and the taste is simply not as good. That conical chamber isn't very pronounced on this pipe, so the flavour remains the same pretty much the whole way through. In my Lumberman I'd be hitting the taper right about now and enjoying a more intense sweetness, with a bit more of the nuttiness of the Burley shining through. I won't even begin to describe how Peterson Signature Flake sings in that Lumberman!

Reactions: edger and danimalia

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Oddly enough, I find the most exaggerated conical chambers on some Bulldogs and Rhodesians. Most of my Dublins are only slightly tapered. I have seen drastically tapered Dublins on several artisan pipes, but not as commonly on factory made pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never noticed the relative narrowing in conical chambers, but now, I might take a look, or a poke, to see if there is much variation. I think particular pipes do well with specific blends, but whether this can be generalized to other similarly shaped pipes, I'm not so sure.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I like conical or semi conical tobacco chambers too. Many of my Peterson’s have this shape, but not all. I get less ash in the smoke as I tamp my way down the bowl. The wide U shaped chambers require scraping down the sides and mixing ash with unburned tobacco. With online pipe shopping determining the chamber shape can be difficult so a phone call might be a good idea.
I also like my cobs this way. Letting the cake build up in the cob and scraping it to conical shape with a sharp penknife usually works. Just scrape the top half inch to a taper.
I think the conical chamber improves all blends.

Reactions: rushx9

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I like conical or semi conical tobacco chambers too. Many of my Peterson’s have this shape, but not all. I get less ash in the smoke as I tamp my way down the bowl. The wide U shaped chambers require scraping down the sides and mixing ash with unburned tobacco. With online pipe shopping determining the chamber shape can be difficult so a phone call might be a good idea.
I also like my cobs this way. Letting the cake build up in the cob and scraping it to conical shape with a sharp penknife usually works. Just scrape the top half inch to a taper.
I think the conical chamber improves all blends.
Speaking of cobs... MM makes that Mark Twain Dublin. I should go pester the smokingpipes.com guys again.

Oh and whoever suggested the 904, the guy at SP confirmed that this shape retains the narrow Dublin chamber across all iterations. Too bad I got sidetracked by those Regimental Bulldogs Savinelli makes!

Reactions: edger

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I know this is a stupid question, but why not just smoke your magic Lumberman?
Well, that's the trouble, I do. A lot! Sometimes it pulls double or triple shifts!

I've been experimenting with stuffing flake into other pipes and it's just not the same. So, when I want to really enjoy a smoke, out comes the Magic Lumberman. It would be nice to have another pipe or two that shared the same style of chamber. That way I could let them rest properly, and well - I'm cheap! Takes a lot less tobacco to fill up that Lumberman...

Reactions: tobefrank