PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
I have never owned a Canadian but have read somewhere that tobacco smoke cools more quickly in the pipe compared to standard billards, etc. Is this true? Does the extra inch make a significant difference in this regards? And, the same kind of question about Churchwardens...
I am wanting to buy a pipe to smoke my aromatics in and hoping to minimize tongue bite.
Thanks for the thoughts.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Obviously the further from the point of ignition the smoke travels the cooler the smoke when it reaches your mouth. Whether your mouth is sensitive enough to the change is the question. You are going to have see for yourself if the distance is sufficient.
You will have to also consider other elements such as moisture, pace and depth of your draw, toppings or other additives personal sensitivity, etc. It ain't simple.

Mar 1, 2014
I definitely notice the difference when I switch from a long stem to a short stem. The air from a short pipe feels much warmer.

That said, I'm still not sure exactly what benefit this is supposed to provide. I seem to be able to make my mouth equally sore either way.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
you could always try a Petersen 'system' pipe with the 'P-Lip' style stem.

If you have a strict budget then you could try a Falcon 'Coolway' that uses a 6mm corrugated filter. As a new pipe smoker I bought one of these to minimise heat while only spending a little in case I didn't like it!

P

pipebuddy

"Obviously the further from the point of ignition the smoke travels the cooler the smoke when it reaches your mouth. Whether your mouth is sensitive enough to the change is the question. You are going to have see for yourself if the distance is sufficient.
You will have to also consider other elements such as moisture, pace and depth of your draw, toppings or other additives personal sensitivity, etc. It ain't simple."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd say definitely that going to canadians or even churchwardens to cool the smoke isn't going to fix over-drawing a damp mixture. Dry the baccy, smoke slower. Light as lightly as possible.
Good luck; enjoy!

I have never owned a Canadian but have read somewhere...

We can own Canadians? I could use a few to help me in the garden. :wink: Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I believe it was Pipestud who pointed out that the difference a few inches makes on smoke traveling at a high velocity (can't remember the exact speed, but like 100's of MPH) through a tiny tube is insignificant to the temperature of the smoke when it reaches your tongue. I side with that, as I have pipes and churchwardens of various sizes. However, maybe the amount of wood might affect the dryness of the smoke? Just a guess?
In all honesty (with myself) I think that gadgetry and gimmicks in the pipe world have created a thought that the pipe can help overcome poor technique.
I prefer thin bowl walls, and average lengths in my pipes nowadays. This way I can better monitor the heat of the fire in the bowl and keep my tempo and pace in a way that consistently produces my desired temperatures. All attempts at pipe gimmickry in my early days of smoking just kept me smoking with poor technique, IMO. YMMV.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't try these pipes, or enjoy them. By all means, go ahead. I only give my response as another way to look at all of this discussion. If you fervently believe that a few inches matter, then it probably does... for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several Canadians and two churchwardens. It seems to me they do smoke cooker, although the physics of cooling smoke over those few inches in very little time seems dubious on principle. It doesn't relate to the pipes, nor to the heat of the smoke, but I find that non-aromatics bite decidedly less than aromatics, if that makes any difference to you. I can smoke some extra full strength non-aromatics and have no problem with bite, but get a real problem with quite mild aromatics.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I can't imagine the fraction of a second difference with a long shank really makes any difference in temperature. I think it must have more to do with the extra wood absorbing more moisture. I've got a stubby reverse calabash that actually does seem to smoke the tiniest bit cooler and it's got less shank length than an average billiard, and much less internal volume than a traditional gourd calabash. What it has is a good bit of briar surface area inside the secondary chamber and that does something, if not much. As others have pointed out, the thing to take away isn't to focus on the pipe but dry your tobacco. Drier=less bite, likewise smoking slower.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I imagine a large water pipe would give a very cool smoke, but good luck smoking a bowl on your morning commute!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
We can own Canadians? I could use a few to help me in the garden

:rofl:
Really though, I love aro's and do tend to go for bents or longer pipes. Have alot of canadians, and I think they do make a difference....You may want to try a Bing's Favorite by Savinelli. Very good pipe for aro's. They also have the balsa system which can help reduce bite.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can't imagine the fraction of a second difference with a long shank really makes any difference in temperature
It would be measurable only with scientific equipment, and would most likely be a small fraction of a degree. Maybe a churchwarden would lower it by a degree or two. (?)

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I own several, absolutely love a couple of them. They each smoke like themselves, whether the extra length cools the smoke or not will have to rely on a lot of scientific testing that I have neither the training nor the inclination to embrace.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh! Physics will tell you that each millimeter it passes through a cooler medium- the shank* and stem- cools it, however imperceptible even to instrumentation!
*Part of the shank maybe as hot or hotter than the smoke passing through, though that's conjecture.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jjm1:
You're getting lots of great information here and the price can't be beat.
Me? I'm a huffer. Always have been and always will be. I smoke way too fast and, I can promise you, I'll probably never slow down.
Consequently, thin walled burners do not work for me. But, I love Canadians, so my favorite burners are long, thick walled Canadians.
In a way it's like suburban golf, pal. Buy the best equipment that improves your jacked up golf game because you're either too busy or too lazy to step back and correct you fundamental errors.
Keep at it. You'll find where you need to be one of these days.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.