PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Other than meerschaum & cob, all my pipes are briar.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with pipes made from wood other than briar.

One thing I've noticed is that they are less expensive than briar pipes.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I had a rosewood pipe once from Rohan (Chinese). It tasted ok, but smoked hot and the stem was crap plastic. It broke and I tossed it. The End.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I have a Mr. Brog churchwarden made from pear wood. It smokes fine and I've never had any problem with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have three pipes made of Mountain Laurel by a N.C. carver. They are a pot/poker (bowl ends where it joins the shank, so

is a hybrid shape, I would say; a bent ball with a good big bowl; and a semi-rusticated (just a patch on the back of the

bowl) panel billiard. Mountain Laurel was brought into use when WWII shut off the briar supply. So far as I can tell, it

is as durable and serviceable for pipes as briar. It imparts no taste to the tobacco and does not seem to char at all. Not

too many carvers work in Mountain Laurel, so you don't see it much. I don't know of any "machine made" pipes of this

wood. I also have two briar pipes by this carver which are fine durable pipes.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
At one time I carved one out of soap. No matter what I put in it it tasted like a Lakeland tobacco and it melted after four bowls.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't checked in along time, but Cup O Joes used to feature a series of rosewood pipes that came with

a (one-pipe) stand and I think a pipe sock, for $20. I was tempted, at that price, to try one, but I have

such a nice selection of briars, it seemed like I'd be crowding the rack. If someone is working on building

a rotation of pipes, these might be worth a try, if they're still there.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I have a maple pipe that smokes well. I've used it for trying out English blends and it's not bad. I prefer my briars, but the maple is nice to take out without worrying what happens to it given that it was inexpensive.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have a Morta and a Mulberry that I made,a Cherry and another Mulberry made by a friend. All smoke just fine.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
I have, and they all smoke fine except the plastic ones from China, pipes in black

walnut, beech, cherry, hickory and aluminum. I have a pipe marked souverner of the Royal Gorge, can't tell what it is made of, but it's a fine smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.