Pipes Left Outside All Winter (Before + After)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Last fall I left two pipes outside on a window sill. The window sill is fairly wide (it has a built-in flower box) and there's an eave over it, so the pipes didn't soaking wet from rain and snow unless the wind was really blowing. Anyhow, we live in New England, so it gets cold. And it's pretty damp all the way through April.
The pipes are a Stanwell #70 and a Sommer (Paris) paneled Rhodesian. Even though these pipes were left outside all winter, cleanup was relatively easy and I don't see any permanent damage. All I had to do was wipe the mold and dust off with a paper towel, polish the stems a bit and run a couple of pipe cleaners through the airways. Here's the before and after photos.
aNexbE5.jpg

aHuBoqj.jpg

oXrIvZy.jpg

C7KyGwG.jpg

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Crazy story and situation. They look beautiful now. Was this leaving outside an accident? An experiment? Do tell

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Crazy story and situation. They look beautiful now. Was this leaving outside an accident? An experiment? Do tell
Was leaving them like that intentional? Or a science experiment?
That flower box/window sill where I left them is right next to the grill and so... a lot of pipes ended up getting set down there over the summer. At some point, I started bringing them inside and cleaning them up, but with a new job, a new house and enough kids to man an infield some things just don't get done. By November those two pipes still hadn't been cleaned up and brought in, so I figured to hell with it -- I'll leave them until I have the time and energy to clean them up. I guess that turned out to be May. :D

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I would slow down on smoking those two for a little while.

You mentioned mold, if mold got inside the pipe I would recommend a much more thorough cleaning with alcohol, heat if needed to really dry them out after the cleaning.

I would not take a chance on a possibly moldy pipe until I really felt it was c l e a n .
Don

Reactions: David_Lawrence

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was prepared to compliment the interesting patina gained by the weathered pipes. Instead, they look new.

Status
Not open for further replies.