PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Delayed, I suppose, by the pandemic, Roger Michell’s The Duke has reached theaters. The pipe smoking begins in the opening credits.

Jim Broadbent portrays real life Kempton Bunton, the reputed thief who absconded from a museum with Goya’s portrait of the Duke of Wellington in 1961.

At home, at work, in the streets, and even in the cinema, Bunton puffs away on his briar. A straight shape in the hands of Broadbent.

Good movie. Worth your time.

Jay

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Thanks for the movie tip. I had not heard ot it. I have a copy downloading right now.

Interesting fact: I don't remember all the details but a study was done quite a few years ago that showed that there are almost no career criminals who are pipe smokers. And, when the authoities do encounter what seems to be one, more often than not the pipe is just part of a disguise. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It is currently on Amazon for rental, but usually after a month on the rental list, it will get moved to Prime for free. It depends... some movies may take longer before becoming Prime.
Are you sure it's that The Duke?

There are quite a few listed, and I'd like to know if there might be regional differences.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Googled “The Duke 2020” and thats what I got. IMDB also says same. And, you can see it on Roku.
View attachment 145848
View attachment 145850
Again, thanks. I am not trying to argue with you, but to hopefully understand some aspects of availability.

IMDB: Here it shows the posters, etc., and a 2-3 minute Trailer. No movie.

Roku: Nothing but Dukes of Hazard, and a couple of Patty Dukes; no movie. I am not a subscriber of Roku, should that make a difference.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It is currently on Amazon for rental, but usually after a month on the rental list, it will get moved to Prime for free. It depends... some movies may take longer before becoming Prime.
I think the only movie called "The Duke" available on Amazon is about a dog - I wish not!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, gents, I am aware of bittorrent and vpn's, though I am using neither currently.

Really trying to find out if there are regional differences in The States on Prime, Flix, any streamer.

Short of the above, is anyone able to watch the latest The Duke movie at home?

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss