PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I've seen back and forth on this as I peruse. Some dont understand why dedicating pipes makes sense, some live by it. I think I'm coming into the dedicated crowd. Not by choice though. I've found certain pipes of mine simply smoke certain blends better, or I smoke those blends better with those pipes. Right now I have one dedicated for burley, one for anything containing latakia, 2 or 3 for Virginia's, 2 for Macbaren #1, and 1, surprisingly a random straight grabow, for Capstan. Didnt plan it but I'm glad I figured it out. Its added to my experience. Where do you stand on dedicating pipes and why? And as a side note, yesterday I fell in love with Easy Times from C&D again. Thought I had lost it.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m in the dedicate crowd, but I tend to dedicate genres rather than blends per pipe. Two exceptions here: one is a Comoy’s dedicated to Quiet Nights, the other is a Scott’s Pipes dedicated to Black Frigate.

Generally I’ve a set for English & Balkans, and a set for VAs & Va/Pers. I’ve a BC with a tight draw which aggravates me to no end, but it does force me to go extra super slow so it’s in the VA Va/Per set.

Burley forward blends go strictly in cobs, no question :)

ETA: Oh, why? Typically I wouldn’t want that hint of Odyssey (for example) when I’m enjoying say, PS LBF. Were I a Lakeland smoker, I can’t imagine getting a nip of that when I’d be trying to smoke a non-Lakeland, etc.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I’m in the dedicate crowd, but I tend to dedicate genres rather than blends per pipe. Two exceptions here: one is a Comoy’s dedicated to Quiet Nights, the other is a Scott’s Pipes dedicated to Black Frigate.

Generally I’ve a set for English & Balkans, and a set for VAs & Va/Pers. I’ve a BC with a tight draw which aggravates me to no end, but it does force me to go extra super slow so it’s in the VA Va/Per set.

Burley forward blends go strictly in cobs, no question :)
Interesting on the Comoy. I recently acquired a Comoy and that's the pipe that smoked Easy Times so beautifully. As a result, I looked for other blends that may do well in it. By chance, I chose Quiet Nights to try in it.

Reactions: diamondback

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
If a pipe really shines with a certain blend it usually ends up dedicated to it. Seems like the pipe chooses more than any conscious choice on my part.

Quite a few pipes just get used for whatever grabs my fancy, but it seems like eventually I end up smoking a certain blend or family of blends in a pipe and it just stays that way.

Meh, works for me.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I am starting to change my mind on this topic as well. Most of the time, I don't notice much difference from one pipe to the next smoking whatever suits my fancy. However, I have a Stanwell jubilee that, for whatever magical reason, imparts a very slight, almost nutty flavor when I smoke my favored Plum Pudding.
I plan to experiment with this phenomenon in the future.

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
I only dedicate pipes to types of blends. For myself, I have English pipes and then Non-English pipes. I don't smoke Aromatics so this doesn't present an issue for me. I do find that pipes with a wide chamber are typically better for smoking flakes or cube cuts.

Reactions: diamondback

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been dedicating my pipes for years now. I dedicate with genres and blend specific. My genres are Va flake and plug, Vaper flake,plug and rope, Vabur flake and plug and 2 aromatic blends. I also have a number of pipes dedicated to one blend. For example I have my 2007 Stonehaven dedicated to 2 of my Rad Davis Lovats. I have my 2012 GL Pease Navigator dedicated to a Trever Talbert Goblin. 2012 Astleys no 44 to a Bruce Weaver Volcano, 1998 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky to a Rad Davis Billiard and a Scott Thile Bulldog and a few more.

The reason I dedicate my pipes is I want to enjoy all that a blend has to offer. Smoking my Capstan Blue Flake in a pipe dedicated to Mac Baren Old Dark Fired is a waste of good tobacco for me.

Reactions: dcon

Spa32

Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I have been dedicating my pipes for years now. I dedicate with genres and blend specific. My genres are Va flake and plug, Vaper flake,plug and rope, Vabur flake and plug and 2 aromatic blends. I also have a number of pipes dedicated to one blend. For example I have my 2007 Stonehaven dedicated to 2 of my Rad Davis Lovats. I have my 2012 GL Pease Navigator dedicated to a Trever Talbert Goblin. 2012 Astleys no 44 to a Bruce Weaver Volcano, 1998 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky to a Rad Davis Billiard and a Scott Thile Bulldog and a few more.

The reason I dedicate my pipes is I want to enjoy all that a blend has to offer. Smoking my Capstan Blue Flake in a pipe dedicated to Mac Baren Old Dark Fired is a waste of good tobacco for me.
How long did it take you to decide on the specific pipe and tobacco pairing? I ask because that's my ultimate goal.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
How long did it take you to decide on the specific pipe and tobacco pairing? I ask because that's my ultimate goal.

It never took very long to find the pipe and tobacco combo. As soon as I get a new blend in, I begin smoking it in different pipes to see how it does in one given pipe or the other.I have loads of pipes dedicated to each genre so unless I find that magical combo where it becomes one blend one pipe I just smoke it in the appropriate pipe.

I have never ever bought a blend and not smoked it right away. I never saw a purpose in cellaring something I know nothing about. I wanted to know a tobacco very well before it made the cut and became a heavily cellared blend.

Reactions: dcon and Spa32

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i do notice some does better in certain pipe. but haven't spend time to dedicate to a blend or a genre. still have less pipes than i want to start doing such.

Status
Not open for further replies.