PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Went to the local Ren Faire this weekend, and saw a surprising number of pipes (i.e. more than one... :D ). I suspect it's partly the fact that I'm now a pipe smoker, and thus more aware of them in general (just as when, after you or someone you know buys a particular make/model/color of car, you see that particular make/model/color all over the place suddenly...).
1. Observed one guy having an afternoon smoke as he stood in the shade. He was probably in his early 30's - most of the cigarette smokers that I saw were older...

2. One of the woodcarver vendors had 3 of those Chinese-made churchwardens available for sale. Was seriously considering one until I saw the "Made in China" sticker... But now I've got spousal buy-in to apply what would have been the purchase price to a decent pipe (possibly a Mr. Brog...).

3. One of the leathercrafters had a belt pouch specifically labeled as a tobacco pouch - had a flap that covered a smaller drawstring pouch on the inside, plus a set of loops to hang a pipe from. Nicely done, but I'm doing leatherwork myself, and have some ideas to improve on the design already. :D
All in all, a good day at the faire - and it was my reltively anti-smoking friend who pointed out the churchwardens to me as something I might find of interest. :D

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Never been to one of these.
Kinda want to go in a space suit and see what they do. :)
I'd love to see some of your leather work with your "better ideas" as soon as it's presentable.
Always cool to see stuff that members make themselves.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
They should do a Ren Fair on the theme of late 19th Century London. Complete with Cockney accents, gas lights, horses, clothing peculiar to the era, and of course pipes. Lotsa pipes. This would be defined as the Victorian Age. With the death of Queen Victoria in 1901, then started the Edwardian era or Edwardian period, covering the reign of King Edward VII, from 1901 to 1910. I'd be interested in attending one of those, as I'd fit right in.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Every fall we have the Dickens Christmas Fair. Unfortunately, it is held in an indoor facility and I can't imagine you can light up any pipes you might bring in. That being said, we've taken the kids for the last few years and had a blast!

Aug 1, 2012
It's been years since I've been to a ren-faire. I'll have to find one this summer an bring my wife. I usually go for Scottish/Irish festivals and not too many pipes there.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Kinda want to go in a space suit and see what they do.
Actually, it was "Steampunk Invasion" weekend - about a dozen of us locals (and a couple from California) showed up in our time-traveling finery. :D
They should do a Ren Fair on the theme of late 19th Century London. Complete with Cockney accents, gas lights, horses, clothing peculiar to the era, and of course pipes. Lotsa pipes. This would be defined as the Victorian Age. With the death of Queen Victoria in 1901, then started the Edwardian era or Edwardian period, covering the reign of King Edward VII, from 1901 to 1910. I'd be interested in attending one of those, as I'd fit right in.
Heh. The Steampunks are getting there, though we tend to include the late Regency era as well... and we're just now at the Convention stage, taking over local hotels for a weekend (rather than having a dedicated space for a couple of months). It all depends on one's tolerance for purposeful anachronism, I suppose.

Aug 14, 2012
The last time I went to a renascence fair was 1990. I broke up with a 14 year girlfriend there. It was a friendly breakup. We were both photographers and never stopped shooting. I was photographing a policeman standing on a treestump writing a ticket, at the time.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
The one in Ohio is always fun. Every year there is a shop that sells the cheap churchwarden pipes. I've never bought one. I do, however, enjoy the mud show.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Okay. I am surprised. I didn't think anyone would know the Professor.
Honestly, his fighting trousers song is about the only one I can sing any of the words too. I recall the titles of a few other tunes. My wife is more of the Professor Elemental fan. I like Mr. B the Gentleman Rhymer a little more, mostly because of that Let Me Smoke My Pipe song. I'm also a bit of a chap fan. So, it kind of makes sense.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Okay. I am surprised. I didn't think anyone would know the Professor
He was scheduled to be one of the musical guests at our local con this year, but had to cancel, unfortuntely... :(
I've posted the pic of Captain Robert and his pipe before - I saw him fiddling with it during one of the shows on the Steampunk Cruise, but never saw him actually smoking it. I believe Tyrant Taylor, of "This Way To The Egress", has also been photographed smoking a churchwarden. And I do enjoy Mr. B's musical stylings, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.