PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
How many pipe smokers here are musicians? I play the keyboards and find smoking a pipe somehow enhances my concentration for those tough sight-reading pieces...does anyone else find that smoking is an aid here? What about folk who play brass or woodwind....does smoking make you cough instead of blow?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I'm known to play some jazz sax maybe 5-6 times a year. I can't manage to keep a pipe lit while I'm playing, it's usually a cigar or nothing for me.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Guitar and mandolin picker here. I dont get to smoke when playing. Im more of a sit back and relax piper.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
guitarist of many years. i have a blog on the subject here: modes4guitar.com

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Played bass guitar for about 10 years but I kinda lost interest in it as I got older. I ended up selling the last bass I had about 7 years ago. I've thought about getting back into it though.
A good friend of mine plays guitar but he also has an old Fender Jazz bass at his house that I fiddle around with whenever I stop by. I'm rusty as heck but I can still manage to clomp my way through a song or two.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been playing guitar for 47 years. Also play 5 string and tenor banjo, bass as well as keyboards. I prefer jazz but can't find anyone around here to play. So, I'm in a "classic rock" band with a bunch of great guys where I play lead and keyboards.

I also teach guitar at the local community center.

Much like pipes, guitar collecting can get the better of you. I have 28 guitars, 2 banjos, an Epiphone Beatle bass, 2 keyboards and electric violin and a dobro. Bunch of amps and a guitar synthesizer.

Oh yeah, and a very understanding wife.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Only 28? 8)

I keep meaning to cull the heard somewhat, but..... well you know how it is, you get one ready to go, then play it again and that was that.... another one that just can't go.
The biggest issue has been amps and cabinets, I have a garage full of gear and really need to start clearing some out.

Same rules apply though, plug in.... whoops, shouldn't have done that! :lol:

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I keep meaning to cull the heard somewhat, but..... well you know how it is, you get one ready to go, then play it again and that was that.... another one that just can't go.
On the other side of the coin are the ones you didn't intend to let go or ones you wish you hadn't. Although I was a bass player I liked to fiddle around with the six string now and again back in the day. One day I walked into a local pawnshop and they had a mint condition, American made Fender Stratocaster, blue with a maple neck, that had been autographed by all the members of the Scorpions. It came with a hard case and photos of the band signing the guitar, all for $350.00. I talked them down to $275.00 ( I don't think the pawn guy knew what he had...he didn't even know who the Scorpions were :lol: )
Anyway, that guitar played like a dream and sounded great. Unfortunately, in a case of youthful stupidity, I ended up pawning that guitar (for beer money or something equally stupid, I don't really remember) with the intention of getting it back...I never did. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.