PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
What if you found a pipe you really, really like the looks of (bowl, stummel, and shank) but the stem is the only thing you don't particularly like about the pipe (material, color, shape, etc.)
Would you take a pass on the pipe?
Buy the pipe and just use it as is?
Buy the pipe and have a stem professionally made for it?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
What if you found a pipe you really, really like the looks of (bowl, stummel, and shank) but the stem is the only thing you don't particularly like about the pipe (material, color, shape, etc.)
There are literally thousands of pipes out there of the same design, different colors, etc... If the stem was the only turn off, I'd just keep looking. Unless we are talking about some funky shape absolutely no one else does, like a Becker or something.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to find pipes that are fully realized before I buy them. I can imagine a pipe that would be so interesting that I would buy a new stem or refinish it, but I'm paying to not have to do that, unless it was a yard sale find that begged for improvement.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I agree w/the above... there are so many choices. Just keep looking and you “should” be able to find your coveted pipe. If not, then yes, Frankenstein one... or have one made to your specifications.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I really like Sasieni shape 58. Hands down my personal favorite. I own 5 varieties of shape 58.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
We're adults. About the only advantage to being one is we get to do what we want no matter how irrational. It's you want to fit jet engines to the pipe, I say go for.

Reactions: trouttimes

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I fell in love with the design and workmanship on this Freehand Acorn pipe, but the stem work was another story. I bought it anyway and fitted it with a stem of my own imaginings, and here is the result:
34917D59-8420-458D-AF09-A43A7EBC1842.jpeg
I absolutely love this pipe now and it is one of the best clenchers own. Remember that YMMV.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Its like old girlfriends sometimes you dont know why but it just cetches your eye and its all you can think about until you have it. Other times its a passing glance of that looks good and then on to the next one. If its not what i want whatever the reason i just pass.

• Haha
Reactions: trouttimes

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
If it's a collectable pipe, I would pass, as a replacement stem would lower the value. If it's just a smoker, then I probably couldn't justify the additional cost of having a replacement stem made, so either way, pass.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it would be somewhat a financial calculation. Does increasing the net cost with the modifications result in a price that is worth the extra expense? Buying the whole package, desirable as-is, is certainly a savings compared to buying pipe parts and assembling them, and throwing out the unsatisfactory parts. There comes a price point at which it makes sense to commission a pipe with exacting instructions so you get what you want on the first pass.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know. Depends. I've seen pipes where I skipped them because of the stem. But if I really liked everything else I'd probably either just ignore the stem or buy a new one. Though I don't think I'd have trouble buying another pipe that is just as great with a perfectly fine stem. So skipp unless it's like a one of a kind type of thing.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Don't particularly like the recent trend to put funky colored stems on pipes. Recently saw a lovely spigot at a great price I would have considered, except it had a white stem marbled with neon green streaks.:eek:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It does not cost a lot to have a pipe re-stemmed. So long as you're not worried that a replacement stem will devalue a "collector's piece". I have a lovely Stanwell featherweight that I bought in the '70s that sat unloved for years because I didn't like the look of the saddle stem, and more so that no matter how often I cleaned, scrubbed or oiled the stem I couldn't get rid of the sour oxidised vulcanine taste. I had a new acrylic tapered stem made and now I love it - one of my nicest looking pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.