PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I’m struggling to find an example, but I swear there’s a line of pipes that has a cream or off white band with a stripe of red as well.
Anyone have any idea what I’m thinking of?
I’m deciding on the design of a custom pipe I plan to order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My searches have been coming up empty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I've seen bands like you describe on some editions of holiday pipes, from maybe Peterson and Savinelli, but not this year. I also thought this might show up on Briar Works pipes, but I checked those and there is nothing in the current inventory at SP. I know I've seen those dusted into pipe brands in the past. If I come up with anything online or in memory, I'll get back.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Thanks! Yeah closest I saw was Sav 2018 xmas but that’s not it. It was definitely off white or cream or vintage white etc, with a red stripe. Black stem, some kind of brown finish in n the briar. Thought it was Sav or Pete but could be neither. Maybe it was an old Xmas pipe from 2010s

Jun 25, 2021
England
I've seen those too.
Last night I searched through the entire stock of pipes that I usually look at from a particular retailer, and can't find them.
I would have sworn it was Briar Works, but no go there either.
It's so frustrating !

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I've seen those too.
Last night I searched through the entire stock of pipes that I usually look at from a particular retailer, and can't find them.
I would have sworn it was Briar Works, but no go there either.
It's so frustrating !

Aw, I really appreciate you taking the time. I'm having the same frustration. I flipped through 33 pages of Petersons, 38 pages of Savinellis. No luck.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
There’s a store out of Spain that uses all different color bands and they have some that color combination. Helio Feretti. But I don’t think the red and white is common. I’ve only seen one. Most are green, white, or black and white.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since you are doing this as a commission, you might approach a series of carvers to see if any of them can fill this request, although you'd have to be sure from their previous work that they can also do the pipe you have in mind, not just the band. You could reference Helio Feretti, and contact him directly. This is all a lot of work, but might be satisfying if you get what you want. You'd want to be extra specific, even about which color red you want -- fire engine, tomato, red-blue, orangey red -- since something other than what you have in mind would be a disappointment after all the work.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
The
Since you are doing this as a commission, you might approach a series of carvers to see if any of them can fill this request, although you'd have to be sure from their previous work that they can also do the pipe you have in mind, not just the band. You could reference Helio Feretti, and contact him directly. This is all a lot of work, but might be satisfying if you get what you want. You'd want to be extra specific, even about which color red you want -- fire engine, tomato, red-blue, orangey red -- since something other than what you have in mind would be a disappointment after all the work.
The helio ones are definitely not commission level. Just souvenir pipes that may give some ideas for the band.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I'm still deciding on the specifics, but this job will go to Mark Tinsky for sure.

I really love the size 5 dark coral size bent apple he made me awhile back. I'm now thinking of simply asking Mark to either modify the existing stem, or create a new stem that has the cream and blood red band I desire. Here's the current/stock configuration with notes-

IMG_6004.jpg

Of course I came across another piece of his during my search, so I may also have him build me a copy of this little featherweight beauty. Something about that Root finish paired with that stem really trips my trigger. It has a creamy band on it too ;)

002-035-0555.1393 (1).jpg