PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mordy: The Irish fighting/walking stick is now known genericly as a shillelagh. The Shillelagh Oak forest has been restored but there is no harvesting allowed. The damned English built their fleets out of Irish oak ... damned near all of it.

There is a manufacturer in the Republic who, located in Shillelagh, makes the cudgels (Blackthorn of course) to order and will even weight one should you desire. That would be hell on loose dogs and arseholes. Google shop. They have some sticks in stock but, will make one to your specs. Takes time though.

They will ship to the US.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Not sure its about image but if I'm socialsing with a group then the cigar fits that image better whereas the pipe suits better if I were in exactly the same place but just with one or two people or on my own

although that all pales into insignificance when we go back to read the opening post for one of the best things I've ever read on the internet since I heard about this new informationsuperhighway thingy that they were launching:

We'll forget Stalin ... he's hard to categorize ...

bdw

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A quick diversion on the dog subject. I'd never hit a dog unless it was after a dog or cat of mine, or my people or me. My dad once rescued our powerful little spaniel from a German Shepherd. And I swear, my late wife, long before we married, charged a quarter mile flailing her purse like a morning star to rescue her little terrier from a much larger dog. I think that was the day she had me by the heart strings. She and her dog did just fine, and eventually so did I. We all need a stick from time to time, to evoke a cigar pun.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Happened to notice your tag line -- I just received a shillelagh (actually a blackthorne "waling stick") from Ireland today. Definitely not an image thing -- my dog was attached by a Rhodesian Ridgehound a few weeks ago and I had to fend it off with kicks. Will be good to have a stout stick with me when I walk the dog (and a pipe to complete the image)
Was once tempted to get a Scottish stag's horn walking stick but passed on it since I don't take walks and, if I did, can't say I'd need one tromping along the town's sidewalks.:)

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.