PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
Piggy backing here, has anyone else noticed a difference in bite or a blend burning hotter in a deeper bowl vs shallow bowl?

I have smoked wide and shallow pipes forever and recently purchased a few narrower bowls that are deeper. Those seem to burn hotter. Am I doing something unconsciously different?
wider chambers tend to smoke cooler.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You won't find an answer here. Or rather, you'll find so many that none will be of value. The only way to answer this question for yourself is to keep smoking different blends in different bowls and figure out what you prefer or if you notice any difference.

The one thing you may find with reasonable certainty is that your technique and cadence will be for more influential when it comes to the flavors you produce out of any tobacco than the shape of the chamber.

For me, also, I enjoy learning how a pipe wants to be smoked. If you are of a mind that the pipe has to fit your smoking style, then you probably won't enjoy having different sized pipe chambers and such. But, I enjoy studying and learning how each pipe smokes best for flavor and just joy of smoking. I know some guys will claim that this or that pipe just doesn't smoke well. But, my mindset on this is that every pipe has a sweet spot in cadence and packing that makes it a winner. It's just a matter of exploring what it is that gets this from a particular pipe.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
For me, also, I enjoy learning how a pipe wants to be smoked. If you are of a mind that the pipe has to fit your smoking style, then you probably won't enjoy having different sized pipe chambers and such. But, I enjoy studying and learning how each pipe smokes best for flavor and just joy of smoking. I know some guys will claim that this or that pipe just doesn't smoke well. But, my mindset on this is that every pipe has a sweet spot in cadence and packing that makes it a winner. It's just a matter of exploring what it is that gets this from a particular pipe.
There’s something to be said for enjoying the learning/experimenting process in most things in life.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I think it's because you repeat things with such certainty that newbies might take those pronouncements as THE truth.

In any event, tagging is rarely done, and I hope it doesn't become a thing with many. Not a question of manhood at all.
You just love to be snarky. You didn't read what the man said in the first place. Or you didn't understand it. And once again you assume a meaning to his post that isn't there. Pathetic.