PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Okay, never seen a poll on this. Just for fun, what's your preferred pipe tool, Czech tool, nail or special tamper? Personally, I'm a nail guy. I have several Czech tools, but the cheapo Chinese made nails are all I ever use.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Proudly Canadian, this Brigham is the only tamper/tool I use:
001-069-0021.jpg

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
I have the cheap $2 tool I got from my local shop. Works fine for right now but I'm thinking when I buy a house next year I'm going to build a standing ashtray with either pockets or holes set up for several tools, tamps, matches for visitors to use since mine usually ends up being a book mark when not being used.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've had a Czech tool since the day I bought my first pipe... I've used it once.

Mostly pipe tamper/tools I've made for myself...

And, I generally carry a pipe nail for out and about.
Mostly these two:
DSC00450.jpg

DSC00449.jpg

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Czech tools or their Chinese-made clones ( same stuff, softer metal, not shiney ) work for me best since the little spoon comes in handy ....

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I love those Lawrence. I haven't seen a nail quite like that. Where did you find those?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Lawrence those are awesome. They look almost like mini broadswords.

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Czech tool most of the time. I have carved a few from branches around the hood don't use them much.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have two Czech tools I've had since I've started, and it's all I ever use.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys, I'm glad you like them.

Once or twice a year, I'll get up the gumption to carve one or two.

I have given most of them away. They take about a week to carve by hand.

I carve them from Ebony.

Very light, very strong, and almost impossible to burn.

They don't need any brass or steel tamper ends.

And, they won't damage your pipes even if you use them to scrape/reduce your cake.

One tamper will usually dull/ruin two or three files and my carving knives hate to see me coming as well.
So, as a sales proposition it isn't equitable.

I would have to charge a couple of hundred just to compensate for my time.
Here's one I carved for Kevin to match his paneled Dunhill.

DSC00409.jpg

The pictures of mine are just a little bit bigger than actual size.

The picture of Kevin's is a little smaller than actual size.

:puffy:

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow, that is too bad Lawrence. I sure would like to get one but certainly do not want to cause your carving knives to weep uncontrollably. I guess I will have to take up the tamper carving hobby eventually. They surely are very sleek looking tampers though!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
gwtwdbss it's really nice to focus on something besides the outside world when you are carving one.

And.... You can make it to suit yourself.

That is if the wood thinks it a good idea.

What's not shown are the disasters that occurred because the wood didn't want to cooperate. :D
:puffy:

Aug 1, 2012
Great tampers Lawrence. Ebony is a bugger to work with but it does make for some beautiful carvings.
As for my pipe tool, I just use the aluminum pipe nail that came with my starter kit. Someday I will make or buy a nicer one but everything in its time and it gets the job done.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I mostly use the Czech tool. I do however make a lot of tampers using various materials just because I enjoy making them when not making pipes. I mostly sell or gift most of them. I also use lots of different materials for the tamp foot such as shell casings, brass, aluminum, copper and stainless steel. But as said I mostly carry or reach for the Czech tool or pipe nails.

Lawrence I've been looking for some ebony for projects, where do you get yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.