Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jhon khan

Lurker
Jun 16, 2021
Hello, recently I started pipe smoking and my first tobacco was amphora original but unfortunately I didn't feel any taste in it, just a slight tobacco taste and nothing else. If anyone had a similar experience and tried something else and it was amazing can you please share? Thanks

Reactions: DangerStranger

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Yeah the Amphora original is a tobacco forward blend, not a lot of flavour, I found that too. You can either go more aromatic like a Peterson connoisseurs choice or Captain Black white, or more English like nightcap, or a mixture called English aromatic.

My guess is you’re after aromatic tobaccos, just look for that name…

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yeah the Amphora original is a tobacco forward blend, not a lot of flavour, I found that too. You can either go more aromatic like a Peterson connoisseurs choice or Captain Black white, or more English like nightcap, or a mixture called English aromatic.

My guess is you’re after aromatic tobaccos, just look for that name…
Be careful with aromatics. They usually are more wet. You can end up with tongue bite if smoked fast without drying the tobacco. Then there is how much to dry and so on. Not very beginner friendly.

Smoking pipe does take sometime to get used to. It's not hard or difficult, but does take some patience. Slow down to just sipping the smoke and try to see if you can pick something out.

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
One of the first tobaccos I "got" was ODF but YMMV. The dark fired leaf was full of flavor. I was transitioning from a 1.5 to 2 pack a day cigarette habit. My palate was insensitive to say the least. I agree with Latakia being a good tobacco for new smokers. I was able to taste it Just don't go hog wild buying lots of any flavor because tastes change over time. Mostly, listen to these guys and gals as they know what they're talking about!

Berg

Lurker
Mar 9, 2021
Australia
As a newbie; don’t go for Aros, even the “strong” aros you’ll struggle to taste (in my humble experience). I’d recommend getting some Early Morning Pipe or another mild English like Presbyterian. They’ve got recognisable, quality tobaccos, are smooth and won’t have you gagging with an overtly strong taste.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sipping, packing properly, drying out the tobacco a bit, and also just practicing helps a lot. Oh and use matches, a zippo, or a soft flame lighter they burn the tobacco cooler which seems to bring out more flavor. Also write reviews of what you smoke, no need to publish them. Something about writing reviews allows you to pick apart more. It's similar to the way that artists can see and differentiate between more shades of color then average people (including themselves before picking up art). The brain just doesn't see why you need to taste everything in that smoke, writing a review gives it a reason to do so. Again just the fact you're planning on review a blend will make it taste more distinct.

Jhon khan

Lurker
Jun 16, 2021
sipping, packing properly, drying out the tobacco a bit, and also just practicing helps a lot. Oh and use matches, a zippo, or a soft flame lighter they burn the tobacco cooler which seems to bring out more flavor. Also write reviews of what you smoke, no need to publish them. Something about writing reviews allows you to pick apart more. It's similar to the way that artists can see and differentiate between more shades of color then average people (including themselves before picking up art). The brain just doesn't see why you need to taste everything in that smoke, writing a review gives it a reason to do so. Again just the fact you're planning on review a blend will make it taste more distinct.
Yes boss, anything else boss

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even for longtime pipe smokers, many blends will take some time to learn and enjoy. Jar what you don't like and come back to it in a year. And be patient with blends you try. I've disliked several blends that I later learned to enjoy, among them Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, C&D Bayou Night, and PS Bullseye Luxury Flake. Also, try tuning blends by mixing in a bit with condiment tobacco, adding a little cigar leaf, unflavored black Cavendish, Turkish, etc.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I didn't much care for Amphora Original. It did nothing for me. But out and about one day, I came across a pouch of Carter Hall. That's what really taught me to smoke a pipe. I pretty much had most of it down by the time I was done that pouch. But I understand pouches of CH are a memory now. So instead, Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh would be my suggestions.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
Captain Black and other OTC aros have turned off more new pipe smokers than anything. I've had good luck with Prince Albert and Carter Hall as excellent beginning smokes as they're very forgiving. For an easier aro there's Lane 1-Q, for English MM965 and Arango Balkan Supreme, and I've already buzzed through a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced as a wonderful and forgiving introduction to Virginias...

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
Captain Black and other OTC aros have turned off more new pipe smokers than anything. I've had good luck with Prince Albert and Carter Hall as excellent beginning smokes as they're very forgiving. For an easier aro there's Lane 1-Q, for English MM965 and Arango Balkan Supreme, and I've already buzzed through a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced as a wonderful and forgiving introduction to Virginias...
I've never had any issues with Captain Black. It is easy to pack, stays lit, and has a pretty consistent flavour through the entire bowl.
The only possible issue is that it usually needs a little dry time when opened.

What about it would turn off a new smoker?

Reactions: Jim Sobie

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
I've never had any issues with Captain Black. It is easy to pack, stays lit, and has a pretty consistent flavour through the entire bowl.
The only possible issue is that it usually needs a little dry time when opened.

What about it would turn off a new smoker?
Well to me (pre internet days, pre learning anything) if one overstuffs the bowl and overpuffs, they're rewarded with searing tongue bite and that refreshing bingo hall ashtray flavor. In my opinion burleys are a bit more forgiving to the eager n00b. But yes I'll agree that if packed correctly and sipped gently it's okay. Just that I've had so many bad experiences with The Captain in the past I'm kinda switched off...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Good old Captain Monochromatic! They found an open pouch when they excavated an ancient Egyptian pyramid and after 2000 years it was still too moist to smoke without getting tongue bite. In terms of things you can taste you might want to consider St Bruno which is available here in the U.S. and pretty much everywhere in the civilized world. Gold Block, Capstan Blue and any of the C.I British style blends are pretty good if you are starting out. Carter Hall was very good and there isn't a day that goes by when I don't morn it's passing.

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
I definitely lean towards VaPers and have really been enjoying a tin of G.L. Pease's Windjammer I opened on Father's Day. But lots of the posts above are full of good suggestions. I agree with an easygoing aero like 1Q as it doesn't seem to be as heavily PG treated as some aeros, St. Bruno is another good suggestion I saw, and the P.S. Luxury Twist, and Bullseye Flakes are good ones too. A couple English blends like 965, and Sutliff's 502 might help you decide if Latakia is for you. Good luck finding your blend!

Reactions: Jim Sobie