Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Look under Pipe Tobacconists in Main Categories and scroll down to the original post about the Edwards tobacconist in Tampa. I don't see anything in the Retailer Directory on the toolbox at the top of Forums, but I would think there are some kind of outlets, cigar shops etc., in Miami, St. Pete, Ft. Myers, and Orlando, and other larger cities in the Sunshine state. I think Pipedia has a listing of pipe shops nationally. (If you live in Florida, you love in Florida.)

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
I've seen the best selection at Pipe Den in Vero Beach, Edward's in Tampa, Bennington's in Sarasota, and Tobacco Cove in Jacksonvile. I support buying local to an extent, but prices are more than double what I pay via mail order so not feasible for cellaring.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Just do a Google search for "tobacconists near me" or something like that. As far as online, I believe if you order from a Florida based online retailer you'll actually pay more in taxes. Eddie from the Pipe Nook says thats why he doesn't ship to Florida residents even though he's based there.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I've seen the best selection at Pipe Den in Vero Beach, Edward's in Tampa, Bennington's in Sarasota, and Tobacco Cove in Jacksonvile. I support buying local to an extent, but prices are more than double what I pay via mail order so not feasible for cellaring.
Tobacco Cove has only a couple of jars of bulk and no tins. It is great for cigars but, they admitted to me that they do not try to compete in pipe tobacco because of the taxes,

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Bennington Tobacconist has stores in Sarasota and Boca Raton. They blend their own tobacco which are quite good if pricey as well as carrying a full range of pipes and tinned tobacco. I've never been there in person but have been ordering their tobacco for about a year. Connoisseur's choice is one of my favorite aromatics

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Yes, but I still buy from them just because they’re there; and because they are my friends.

Yes it’s a tough conundrum. On my last visit, I purposely bought several tins that I would otherwise have bought online at 85% lower price just to support the shop. But it’s not economically viable to try and build a large cellar this way.
I wish we could eliminate the draconian tax.

Reactions: gamzultovah

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Does anyone know of a pipe tobacco retailer in Florida? I love in Florida, and if I order from one here, will the taxes be less?
Sorry, no info on the Sunshine State, but:

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Florida had a lot of great pipe shops in years past. The levy of 85% state tax on pipe tobacco has brought about the demise of all but a few good shops and those left actually are primarily cigar shops. Those mentioned previously are good places to visit and good people. Interestingly, while Florida has one of the highest pipe tobacco taxes, we have the lowest cigar state tax rate - no state cigar tax - ZERO. There are three states & DC with no state cigar tax. Figures that DC is one - the politicos have to get theirs at a discount !

Status
Not open for further replies.