PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
From time to time, I'll pack a pipe with tobacco, set it down to take on my latest task and forget about it and fill another when I'm ready. I'VE ALWAYS done that! Of course a few days later, I get to it and discard the un-smoked tobacco and re-fill. How long, or days can you leave that tobacco and have it still be good...
Thanks! :eek:
Dan

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Test it out for yourself and see.

Personally, I think most of the oils would be lost with that much time left in the air but I’m frugal so I’d surely try it out before I tossed it but that’s just me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
If I packed a pipe, I smoke it. I rarely set the pipe down and then smoke it days or weeks later,. It I would if I needed to. I notice, the bowls get damp ish if left in too long. But maybe that's all in my head.

But if you are wondering if it will go stale, I keep tobacco in a leather pouch. Sometimes if I switch tobacco's for a week or so, I'll forget about that other tobacco. And rarely do I taste a stale tobacco.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sometimes if I load a pipe but something comes up and I can’t get to it I usually put that pipe in a ziplock bag or put saran wrap around the bowl so the baccy doesn’t dry out.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I've left pipes packed and I smoked for over a week a few times. I haven't noticed any issues. They still burn and taste good

Reactions: p40warhawk

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly I try to jar tobacco or otherwise keep it fresh. But I have left baggies of blend in a drawer or forgotten a blend in a bowl. Tobacco burns after drying much longer than you'd think. It doesn't burst with fragrance before you light up, but often it burns and tastes just fine. Many of the old tobacco jars didn't even seal and were expected, and usually did, keep tobacco smokeable for months. Give dry tobacco a try, to see how it smokes; usually it is fine.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I actually like to let some of my tabacco to dry over several days to several weeks before I light up. Carter Hall is only good to me after it has dried for at least a few weeks.

Reactions: seanv
Status
Not open for further replies.