Pipe Styles Paired With Different Tobaccos?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Apologies for the sorry subject line! That said, what I'm looking to find is what style / shape pipes pair best with different types of tobacco blends? For instance, which pipes tend to offer a better smoking experience with Virginias, etc.
Until recently, I have been strictly an English, Oriental, Balkan, Scottish enthusiast. Only in this past year have I looked into VaPers and discovered they can be amazing blends.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some strong opinions will be voiced soon. I pick my pipe for the moment based on what strikes my fancy, and at times, size of chamber. I smoke regular chambers and stacks. (i.e., no pots) I don't subscribe to the notion that VA's or English blends smoke better in a given shape. Others will strongly disagree.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I don't tend to go by shape and type of tobacco either. But with that being said, I do know that different blends taste differently in different pipes. I have had blends not really taste that great in one pipe and then blow my socks off in another pipe.

This is why when I try a new blend, I will smoke it in a few different pipes before deciding that if I don't like it.

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I will generally smoke straight Virginia’s in a narrower chambered pipe... but that’s not a hard and fast rule.

It’s a matter of personal taste for every individual.

A rigid set of rules for what pipes go with whatever tobaccos is in my opinion pointless. Kind of like saying ice cream can only be correctly served on a waffle cone...

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Ice cream CAN only be served in a waffle cone! But my tobacco doesn’t seem too picky about what shape I use. Chamber diameter might make a difference to me, but I don’t pair specifically. I usually go by mood, do I want 2 hours of the same thing or to change it up a bit over the course of the smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though I have heard a few suggestions on pairing pipes with blends, and ascribe to a few, I would try any blend in any pipe, since pipes are highly individual, even factory pipes. One that doesn't match the usual suggestion maybe be wonderful with a particular blend. I won't run through the usual prejudices, since I've done that before. I'd just designate pipes for Lakeland aromatics, if I smoked them.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
read tall narrow chamber works for va. wide chamber works for english. i agree with what i read, but don't really look for specific pipe for specific blends.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Although I recognize and do not doubt the wisdom of general pairings (e.g., tall narrow chamber for VAs), I'm still discovering new blends and pipe shapes, so for me it's a bit random at this point. But I embrace the randomness. Maybe my tastes will drive me to a pairing that is not "typical." I'm having fun, regardless.

But I should take notes or journal what I smoked, in case I do not prefer a tobacco. I can come back to it later in a different pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Good information here, gents. One thing I have noticed is how amazing some nice English & Orientals do in an affordable MM pipe. Bought one of the Cobbits and felt a little foolish with the name, so it sat for about a year. Finally got it out and broke it in (very easy, too) with dome of the Dunhill. Unbelievably smooth and cool-smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Also, the usual proscriptions don't apply to all individual tastes. You might like a different delivery system for a particular generic blends. Some like a Virginia in a broad chamber, and so on. Try it. And pipes different, as noted above.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I will generally smoke straight Virginia’s in a narrower chambered pipe... but that’s not a hard and fast rule.

It’s a matter of personal taste for every individual.

A rigid set of rules for what pipes go with whatever tobaccos is in my opinion pointless. Kind of like saying ice cream can only be correctly served on a waffle cone...
I don't disagree though all my pleasant Virginia smokes have been in narrower and taller bowls.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Yeah, the only thing that ever seemed at all plausible to me was Virginia flake in a tall, narrow bowl.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke almost exclusively some type of Va, Vaper or Vabur flake. I use mostly group 4-5 sized pipes with most being a classic shape(Billiard,Dublin,Apple,Rhodesian,Brandy,Lovat). I get great smokes no matter what the shape of the bowl is.
My inside bowl widths are mostly .75-.82 and a few that are 7/8.

I have heard for years that larger bowl diameters are better for English style blends that have multiple components and stack pipes for Virginia's. I honestly don't know if those things are true as I no longer smoke any English blends(stopped over a decade ago) and I have never owned a stack.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I've taken whole flakes, and without rubbing them out, rolled them up long ways, and stuffed them down into a long narrow bowl, like a tall cylindrical poker or "chimney". Works well...

Status
Not open for further replies.