PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongoose108

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
So I have been researching this new exciting hobby, and have (guess what) some newbie questions. I have noticed a style of pipe called a Poker, which has a large bowl and short stem, and these seem to be very popular. I like how they look, but are they good for a beginner? Since the stem is short, would they tend to smoke too hot? Or is that controlled by your smoking method? What is the advantage in a very large bowl/short bowl?
That's all for now. Thanks in advance
-Gary

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A short stem and a short bit could give you a hotter smoke. The temp is more controlled by the force of your draw. Gently pulling a bit of smoke into your mouth and not rapidly puffing away will also assist in keeping the temperature nicely regulated. The way you load the pipe will also have an effect on the burn rate.
The type of tobacco, burn rate, pipe size, etc. will all have a bearing on the smoke temp. How well packed the tobacco is also must be considered.
I'd strongly suggest perusing the "basic and beginner" forum for a fine overview of pipe smoking. Then, after trying a bowl or two and finding yourself very unsatisfied with the entire process . . . keep at it, paying close attention to loading and smoking rate. After a day or two, reflect on the whole experience and then start to pepper forums with questions.
Almost forgot! I've you know any pipe smokers, look to them for some initial guidance.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Several things can contribute to a hot pipe..Quality of the pipe and or the tobacco.The way the pipe is packed,Also the smoking method.Smoking too fast is an example.As far as a poker.It's just one of many shapes that pipes have.I can't say that it would smoke better or worse than other shapes.It's just a matter of what you like.Most folks around here have pipes of several different shapes.Right now I don't have a poker,but it's tops on my list if I get another pipe.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Pokers can have either long or short stems.
I believe that the smoker's packing and cadence are what produces a "hot" or "cool" smoking experience, not the length of the stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The poker is a good standard shape, not something that would be a problem for a new pipe smoker. A short stem

creates a little less leverage against your teeth so is somewhat more comfortable to clench, but it does put the smoke

from the bowl closer to your face/nose. If you sip rather than puff, you can probably have a fine smoke with this pipe.

You might also want to get a Missouri Meerschaum cob or two, and eventually another briar pipe or two, just to get a

sense of how different pipes change the smoking experience. (Clench is to hold the pipe in your mouth, by the way.)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The straight billiard is the pipe shaping icon. More of them are made than all other styles, I would guess. Definitely a straight pipe for a first pipe. You can experiment with bents down the line. Also, you can't get a cleaner through most? of the bents, and as a newbie, your packing won't be right, and thus the cleaner passing into the bowl will be important to clear the obstruction.

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
The way you draw and pack is more important to the temperature of the pipe then the stem. I think stem shape and button is all about preference. I myself like to clench, and I prefer bent over straight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
4noggin is a pro and he's right about straight pipes being the way to start, but by chance, I started with a bent pot from

Tinder Box and it worked out okay. Of course I was rigorously trained from infancy by watching my dad smoke a pipe, so

perhaps I wasn't exactly untrained as a pipe smoker.

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
I've never had a problem getting a cleaner through a bent, and I'm a newish pipe smoker. Maybe I'm just lucky. A slight bend in the tip of the cleaner helps since the draw hole is drilled offset of the stem in most pipes.
..and because I have the opportunity

If you have trouble getting it in, consult your wife.

If you bend the tip too much, consult your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.