Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

thomk64

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Oakville, CT USA
Howya Friends! Hoping someone can help. I was recently gifted with this pipe and was curious as to whether the stem is amber or bone. The pipe is stamped "Bruyere Garantie", which I know to mean "genuine briar'. With such a wealth of knowledge and experience by you all I was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction.20201019_140342.jpg20201019_140301.jpg20201019_140501.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Looks more like amber with a bone fitment. It might be Bakelite if the pipe dates back to the early part of the 1900s, hard to tell.

One way to ID amber is to rub it vigorously with a cloth to heat it up. If you smell pine resin it’s amber. Alternatively, I’ve heated up a pin with a lighter and touched it to a hidden part of the stem. If it smells like pine it’s amber. Plastic will smell like burning plastic.

Proceed at your own risk, amber is fragile.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
Looks more like amber with a bone fitment. It might be Bakelite if the pipe dates back to the early part of the 1900s, hard to tell.

One way to ID amber is to rub it vigorously with a cloth to heat it up. If you smell pine resin it’s amber. Alternatively, I’ve heated up a pin with a lighter and touched it to a hidden part of the stem. If it smells like pine it’s amber. Plastic will smell like burning plastic.

Proceed at your own risk, amber is fragile.
Bone won't burn but any sort of most other materials will. I use the hot needle test on lots of stuff I buy.

Reactions: anotherbob

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Amber does chip like what’s seen in the photos, then again so does Bakelite. The heated pin trick works, but Amber will float in water whereas Bakelite will sink.

Bruyere Guarantie pipes were not high end pipes, so I would assume the stem is Bakelite.

Reactions: renfield