PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I am not at all what one would consider a woodworker or Craftsman, but I feel like I can measure and cut wood and maybe even screw or nail things together. The pipe stands that I have seen for sale seem pretty expensive. Does anyone have plans or a picture of a simply made pipe rack? I'm quickly running out of room.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I'm always hoping to come across plans or articles about making pipe racks when browsing certain parts of the internet. There aren't very many. Here's one I ran across, I think on the Scribd website.

Attachments

• 18th-Century Pipe Box Provides Elegant Storage.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: vates
I got the urge to make a wall rack with glass doors last Fall. I have the frame and doors made, the actual slots for the pipes, but I hit a snag in making the wells that the pipes set into to keep them from sliding out of their seats. I thought that my router could do it, but I am going to need a large ball bur that will fit into my drill press.

I didn't really have a professional plan, but I just deconstructed an existing rack to get the spaces down between the pipes and the angles of the slots. I then just plotted it all out on grid paper. If it weren't for having to wait on the new bur, I would be done by now... well, if I can find the time to work on it.

Reactions: BROBS

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I got the urge to make a wall rack with glass doors last Fall. I have the frame and doors made, the actual slots for the pipes, but I hit a snag in making the wells that the pipes set into to keep them from sliding out of their seats. I thought that my router could do it, but I am going to need a large ball bur that will fit into my drill press.

I didn't really have a professional plan, but I just deconstructed an existing rack to get the spaces down between the pipes and the angles of the slots. I then just plotted it all out on grid paper. If it weren't for having to wait on the new bur, I would be done by now... well, if I can find the time to work on it.
Cosmic, I just put down leather or felt instead of the expense for the bit :)
pictures when it is finished, please

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I personally don't like the racks that have a hole for the stem.. I can never get my pipes in there without flipping them around or dragging them on the rack etc.
I prefer slots.

I think the one I posted would be easiest to make with only basic tools.

I have thought about making a nice pipe rack, but I face the same problem as @cosmicfolklore ... making a depression in wood is something I currently do not have any tool or bit that will accomplish what I want... at least with repeatable results.

making a depression in wood is something I currently do not have any tool or bit that will accomplish what I want... at least with repeatable results.
Yeh, I thought about using gouges and chisels, which I am pretty crafty with, but the problem is I wanted to get 120 pies in there, so that is a lot of repetitive work, with lots of opportunity to mess up.

I don't like the stands with holes either. Most/some pipes just don't fit into those well.

Reactions: Bengel

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I wonder if you could use the rounded end of a belt sander??? I just thought of this

I wonder if you could use the rounded end of a belt sander???
I don't know, sounds kinda like it might hack it up. But, you may be better at using a belt sander than me.

Large ball burs are kinda pricey, but not outa range. I think I would like a large ball bur anyway for making individual stands out of chunks of wood. to keep about the house at places when I have to lay my pipe down, like the sinks, stove, and places where I set... like the diningroom table.

Here's a few I've built and posted over the years:

Haunted Bookshop Pipe Rack

plan-6sps-rsp.jpg

Craftsman Cottage Pipe Rack

Twice on Sunday Mantle Pipe Rack

Craftsman Bungalow Pipe Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.