PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
When I was introduced to pipe smoking back in 1998, I started with a blend recommended by a tobacconist in the town where I was stationed in Germany. He went way above and beyond...sold me the pipe, tamper, cleaners, pouch, leather pipe case and tobacco at a introductory price...he was looking for a client, not a customer. This shop was so well stocked with pipe tobacco and cigars that I found myself visiting the shop nearly every other week when I was in-country. The tobacco, Vauen Jubilee remains the ideal blend for me, although I find myself limiting my use to extend what I have and of course, cherish the initial experiences. Of course my preferences have changed along the way, but to me, that particular tobacco remains special.
I deployed with this blend, saw some good friends come and go, killed a couple of brain cells drinking some fine brewed beverages, celebrated promotions I earned or those I missed, awards, high points and low...even smoked this as a really good friend welcomed a baby into the world.
I was lucky enough to purchase a few tins when I left Germany in 2007 and I find myself reluctant to open another tin, although this tobacco is now available in the states. The flavor, essence, and notes take me back like only music can do.
Do any of you have that special tobacco...not an everyday type or even a weekender, but rather something you use to kickstart your recollections? One sacred blend or mixture you smoke only when the time is right for solitude and reflection...maybe to look into the ethereal mist lingering from the bowl of your pipe and transport yourself back? A touchstone to your past...and if so, what's that tobacco?
Respectfully,
Archer

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's pretty cool Archer. I wish I could say that I did have a special tobacco that brings me back to other times, but I don't.
I do have music and certain smells of foods cooking that do.
When I was a kid, growing up with a Sicilian mom and grandparents, there were many Sundays when I could smell the homemade Italian food cooking from the morning until it was time for late-lunch / early-dinner around 4.
I still have many Sunday's when it is Italian-night, cooking up home made meatballs, sausages, bread and pasta that transports me back to when life was way simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.