PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I have just found an excellent Hungarian web page full of archive photos from (mostly) the 20th century. I wrote in pipe in Hungarian ("pipa"), and there is a tremendous amount of photos throughout the century. It is very interesting to see the situations and type of pipes they smoked back then. You can go forward by pressing right arrow button or just by clicking on the next picture. http://www.fortepan.hu/?search=pipa

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Those long pipes add another meaning to churchwardens/lesepfeiffen(reading pipes)/TV-pipes :lol:
The most interesting for me is to see that until WW1 they used mostly very detailed, "peasant-style" pipes and after that, thanks to the advanced industry more and more modern shapes appeared. But the elder ones still used their beloved old-school pipes until the 60's-70's. And of course you could smoke anywhere or everywhere. Golden age of tobacco pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's a favorite.
—Always wear a 3 piece suit and hat when relaxing with a two foot long pipe in a hammock. It rocks!
58200.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Nice ... that 1905 pic sith the 2 m long pipe, looks like it caught on fire :lol:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah that one.
Imagine, how long pipe cleaner you would need for it
You mean, pipe rope, 'cause cleaner simply won't cut it on this one :lol: Can you imagine a pipe stand for this one?

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
:lol: Ladies love the smell of a smoky moustache :wink:
I would be ok with a pouch for that pipe :D But the cleaning would be still problematic, even with a rope :D

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
I couldn't help noticing that the same guy is pictured in many photos leading up to WW2, then a last photo of him in uniform.... makes you think.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The sartorial culture in those days often included suit and tie for recreation, including hunting and fishing. This was partly to emphasize ones class status. Farmers would wear suit and tie to proclaim they were landowners, not just labor, though I'm sure most of them did endless labor. We're in the midst of this being turned on its head. The scientists I used to work with mostly wore sports clothes, to indicate they weren't those old grindstone administrators but got down to work in the labs. There is lots of non-verbal communication in clothing. Great photographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.