PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Have people with dirty pipes stopped beating their wives? I did not know that!
Seriously, though, a close contender for Myth #2 might be that new pipers have to start with a sweet aro.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Never really gave much thought to what would by considered as Myth #1 (if they were in order as to priority?). Perhaps that a new pipe should be broken in by first only smoking half bowls, or rubbing some honey on the inside of the bowl (God forbid!!)

brunoreiser

Lurker
Aug 11, 2015
I think it's hard to get to the end of a session of pipe smoking whitout three or four relights. Sometimes the tobacco remaining at the botton of the bowl becomes wet and not so tasteful. However, it doesn't bother how fine was the ash rather than how pleasant was the smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bruno-
As an experiment, using the same tobacco, dry it down, perhaps even to the point of your thinking it's too dry. Try a couple of bowls and see how that goes.
Best of luck!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've only smoked down to ash on a few occasions, but never with one light. I think the best I've ever done is 2 matches for 1 bowl and that was pure luck. ;) A feet to never again be repeated. LOL

Having someone say it smokes to a fine white ash and only took 1 light tells me nothing about the tobacco itself, so I disregard that crap all together. I want to know about flavor profiles, if it's overly moist etc. I couldn't care less how many lights someone else used.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Smoked some Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture yesterday that left a lot of fine white ash, all on the top as it was smoking down, heh heh. Unfortunately, I still had some dottle due to the humidity.

brunoreiser

Lurker
Aug 11, 2015
jpmcwjr
It seems to me that larger bottom bowls tend to leave sometimes the tobacco wet, even when the pipe is straight. I've never done it before, but it's worth trying to dry it up.

Thank you for the advice.

Aug 14, 2012
It depends on the tobacco. Finer cuts are easier to get what you want. Also on the width of the pipe. Wider bowls don't do it. Have I gotten a fine white ash? Rarely, but I seem to remember it a few times.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
This thread is absolutely a must read for all newbies! I have been off and on with a pipe for 2 years, but I can look back and say honestly reading such talk from so many members early on would have saved my tongue from probably nearly falling off.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Almost every tobacco review I read states "smokes down to a fine white ash with one light".
I saw this trope mentioned in a Faulkner book about his smoking. I think it's more rhetoric/imagery than reality.
On the other hand, I have had bowls smoke down to this. Recently, I rubbed out some 1792 and let it dry, then torched about a half-bowl of it. At the end, it was greyish but mostly white ash which fell out and disappeared in a cloud.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I kind of assume "the bottom of the bowl," is not the absolute bottom; but instead just before the airway. There are times where I get to the "bottom" but there's usually an insignificant amount leftover. One light is fine for some tobaccos, but...as I have been learning there are some a second/third light is actually beneficial. Can change the whole experience for me. I'd prefer not to go to the bottom as others have said. Ash doesn't smoke well and no point to get there. Lighting again, as long as you're not just throwing a torch to it shouldn't be a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.