PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
This thread has brought back long-forgotten memories. I set fire to the interior of my car (which lacked a real ashtray) while picking up mail at the post office. I had been using one of those large amber glass ashtrays with the knocker in the middle as an ash/trash receptacle on the floor of the passenger side. I set the pipe down and it apparently rolled over into some wads of kleenex as I exited. On my return a minute later I noticed the car filled with thick smoke and flames licking the dash.

Fortunately it had rained the night before and I dumped the flaming mess and scooped up some water from a nearby puddle, effectively dousing the dashboard which was on fire and melting. A clerk came running out wanting to know if I needed the fire department. Nah, I said. I handle things like this every day, but thanks.

A woman standing by watching this sniffed, "Another reason to give up smoking." No way, lady. I got my priorities.

Keweenaw

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
Michigan
Couple of inevitable burn holes here and there. Excluding the pipe, I watched in terror as I popped a well aged tin of British Woods and flung it all over the floor. Good times.

• Wow
Reactions: STP and JOHN72