PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I just got back from a couple of days in New Orleans, exploring the French Quarter for the first time. Arrived on Saturday, which seemed to be the day they were observing Halloween, based on the costumes and parades and wild partying in the streets--or is that the way people behave in New Orleans all the time? I was never sure who was in costume and who was just eccentric or on some heavy medication (or forgot to take it) --does this guy wear nothing but a purple bathrobe year-round or was he one of the revelers?
Anyway, this is about pipe smoking, so I'll say that I thoroughly enjoyed the freedom to smoke almost anywhere, and even got an encouraging "that tobacco really smells great" from a fellow quaffer in a bar (for the Pipes and Wilkes 13 I was smoking). On Saturday I stumbled onto a tobacco shop somewhere off Bourbon Street, with lots of jars of tobacco blends and a nice selection of pipes. I bought a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced, and the proprietor showed me some of his own hand-crafted pipes, and invited me to come back later to smoke and chat, but when I went out later to find his shop again on Sunday, I couldn't remember where it was. I ended up at another shop, the Tobacco Exchange, where I met a friendly shop keeper who let me check out lots of pipes and tobacco. They had a blend called Three Virgins and a Frenchman that they were sold out of (wish I could have tried some of that!) so I picked up some McClelland 5100 instead. I finally found my way back to the Sheraton; maybe one day I'll go back for that house-blended VaPer, or maybe they could ship it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I loved my time in New Orleans. Warner Brothers sent me there for SIGGRAPH '96. Great food, great architecture, one of the best drunks I ever had. It was a four day non stop party and I stayed on for another week to shoot images of the city.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. New Orleans is is unique.

Congratulations on your experience.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My youngest lives in New Orleans. From your description, you pretty much captured regular events, at least in the Quarter. It is fun for a few days, but on each visit we feel the need to visit the Quarter less (and pretty much forget Bourbon Street altogether). There are plenty other parts of the city that aren't quite as trashy. On the other hand there are also plenty of parts I wouldn't go in broad daylight...
I definitely enjoy the pipe smoking freedom that would be impossible here in Maryland. That has to be the most pipe-friendly city in the US.

mikeklumpp

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2013
hong kong
new orleans is my city of birth and will someday be home again - thanks for sharing - i have two daughters living there now and will visit again in the summer when i can get away from Hong Kong for a few days

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I love visiting Nawlins, the French quarter has a vibe that is unlike any other city I have been in. It is one of the best freak shows I have ever seen. I have been there 3 times and will go back again one day. The food is incredible, the bars, the music, the coffee all make it a great place to visit.
Glad to hear you enjoyed you visit, it is great being able to walk around and smoke anywhere.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Glad you had a good time there. I frequent the Tobacco exchange, a very good shop if somewhat out of the way. Crescent City Cigar Shop may be the other store you visited, as they have quite a selection of bulk blends. That one is just off Bourbon, on Orleans St.

As far as the people, well, that is how they are, heh heh.

New Orleans is my home, BTW.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
You're probably right, rigmedic1. That sounds like the area of the quarter I was in. I'm still intrigued by a tobacco called Three Virgins and a Frenchman, though; that was at the Tobacco Exchange. I'm going to call them and see if they can ship tobacco, when they get some more in. He said the locals love it and it goes pretty quickly when he gets it in. You live in New Orleans--have you ever tried that blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.