PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I'm going to New Orleans in a couple of weeks. Wife is at a conference, and I'm free during the day to roam the streets. Any good tobacco shops around the quarter, Bourbon Street? Do they allow pipe smoking in public, in bars, around there? Gotta make my plans.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Don't know about tobacco shops, but you can smoke anywhere in the French Qt. Definitely get a shrimp or oyster PO Boy at Mothers, best in town. Also check out Cafe Du Monde at Jackson SQ, it is a NO institution.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Was in NO last February. There are a couple of cigar shops (including one factory), and one fairly skeevy looking "pipe" shop on Bourbon Street. One of the cigar shops operates a webstore that sells pipes, but they were closed on the Saturday that I finally wandered past their shop. I've heard good things about the Tinderbox out in Metairie, but we didn't rent a car on our trip, so we didn't have a chance to check it out.
Have a great trip - we can't wait to make a return trip!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My youngest lives there. We visit a few times per year. Payless is somewhere near the Quarter, but they are closed on Sundays, which is usually when we've walked around. There are the requisite cigar shops with some frequency, but I found no real pipe shops. Oysters on the half-shell are dirt cheap, enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife and I went to NOLA on our honeymoon and stayed at the Queen Ann Hotel. We loved

Preservation Hall for old style Dixieland by true masters of the form. We liked Gallatoire better than

Antoine's for its motto, you wait in line whoever you are. I never go without taking a trip on the stern

wheeler riverboat. My living wife and I went to hear Preservation Hall band on tour and we wouldn't

mind getting back to The Big Easy by and by. Breakfast at Brennan's. Etc. Best food this side of Paris

or Montreal.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Before Katrina there was a nice pipe shop, The Epitone on St. Charles, with a nice pipe selection with a good supply of tobaccy. After the hurricane, it changed hands and was more a cigar shop. It is now closed.
Payless the internet site with a small showroom has moved up north, New York I think.
If you can get to the Tinder Box in Materie, you will enjoy the shop. Run by two friendly pipe schmokin guys that are a ton of fun.
St. Charles street is a good place enjoy a pipe while the street performers play for the crowds during the day.
Have some fun !!

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Last time I was there in the quarter there were a couple good cigar and pipe shops but many have closed. I will say that as long as its cool outside, you can enjoy your pipe outside on the patio at cafe du mond. Also Jackson Square is great area too. Lots of history there.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Tobacco Exchange on Exchange Place in the French Quarter has a smoking lounge and a nice choice of jar and tinned tobaccos. They have a huge supply of pipes as well. There is a cigar shop off Bourbon, on St. Peter's street, I believe, that has some pipe tobacco as well, such as Dunhill bulk blends and Goedewaagen, which I think is MCClelland Tastemaster. The Epitome pipe shop is in the mall on the beach in Gulfport Mississippi. Payless Pipes is on St. Charles Avenue, opposite of the French Quarter, but I have never been there.

BTW, most of the bars in the Quarter allow smoking.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Oh, there is a Tinderbox in the Esplanade Mall its 15 or so miles from the quarter. I only point it out since Tinderbox B&Ms have been disapearing from the landscape for quite some time - especially from malls...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Tinderbox is in the Lakeside Mall, and it is a fine store, and they have a sale on FMC presently. Unfortunately, there is no smoking allowed in the mall or the store.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Payless does appear to have moved to Nebraska:

http://www.paylesspipes.com/contact.html
I do remember my daughters fiance, a pipe/cigar smoker mention the Tinderbox in Metarie (they live near there).
New Orleans was the most smoking friendly town I've ever been in.

Status
Not open for further replies.