PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
What are these "Bars" & "Restaurants" you speak of?................... they disappeared here in Ohio in like, 2020........... Covid, killed 'em............

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I’ve smoked in too many places to list in Las Vegas
This. Vegas allows smoking indoors and at restaurants/bars, but I’m sure some restaurants don’t want you smoking in them.

I was just at a Motel 6 here in California and they have smoking/non-smoking rooms.

Being younger than most on here, and born and raised in California, I don’t remember how it “used to be.” Bars here allow smoking in their outdoor sections, and at least one bar I used to go to has an “outdoor” area that is basically indoors with open windows on the top, so you can smoke inside the bar. Our pipe club here in Los Angeles County met at a bar/restaurant that allows pipe smoking on their dining patio. The barbershop I used to go to in Orange County allowed smoking during your haircut and didn’t allow women inside.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Not aware of any bars or restaurants that allow smoking indoors. Maybe I’m a hypocrite, but I would be pissed if I’m out enjoying a nice meal with my family and the table next to me lights up a pipe or cigar.
Bars are a different story. Though it’s nice to not come home reeking of smoke, I think bars are places for adults and should have the choice to allow smoking if they choose. In 2021 most probably wouldn’t anyway, but it should be their choice.

I find most places here will let me smoke my pipe. Starbucks, and many other chain places... I just ask politely, and try to make as little smoke as possible, and if I see that it bothers someone, I throw my coffee in their face and yell at them... I mean, I get up and move. puffy

But, seriously, when I see a sign with a cigarette and a line through it, I will ask if that means pipes? It helps to have puppy dog eyes. And, I can't recall ever getting told no. If there is outdoor seating, I would never ask to smoke inside.

Just be polite! And, even I would bawk at someone setting at a table making big stupid newbie clouds of smoke. I would even get up and leave in a smokers lounge if an idiot sat next to me and did that.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It's almost a shame it's gone, although I was and still am very supportive of smoking being banned indoors. I like a smoke with a drink, but hate any smoke - including my own - near food.

I'd avoid smoking strong stuff near other people, even outdoors. I don't want to be the obnoxious prick who stinks the place up. Some DFK and English blends just reek when you get them as second-hand smoke (like, going out of your smoking room and coming back in after 5-10 minutes), cigars reek, even cigarettes stink. The old adage of aromatics being for others' pleasure and stinky stuff being for our pleasure rings true! My wife won't let me smoke anything other than VaPers at home, especially not Latakia, and I get it, they taste amazing but to other people they stink!

Oh, and when I smoked cigarettes I always insisted on a non-smoking room in hotels - in Greece in the summer it was basically impossible to find any such room unless we're talking of proper and expensive hotels - and never smoked in my own hotel rooms either, always in the balcony (if there was one) or outside, you'd often see my in pyjamas in the morning, with a coffee mug at hand puffing away next to the door :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd never think of smoking in a restaurant. I don't know one that is smoking permissive. With fine dining, I think that is necessary. One table's cigar might not go with another table's entrees. You're paying to savor your food, not someone else's tobacco. When I heard Irish pubs had forbidden smoking, that served as the end of that historical epoch for the world, for me. Mind you, I live in the heart of the tobacco belt.

Reactions: redz and BROBS

Edgeworthian

Lurker
Jun 14, 2020
Hi Everyone -

Given all of the current restrictions in place with the Pandemic or ongoing smoking laws, I thought it would be good to call out places that allow smoking pipes/cigars right now - outside of dedicated smoking lounges.

I live in Orlando and haven’t had any issues lighting up at a few places -
- Kitty O’Sheas Pub - Lake Buena Vista, FL
- Miller’s Ale House - I-Drive - Orlando, Fl

Let’s compile a list of friendly places to enjoy our hobby!

- Dan
The Occidental in San Francisco.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
If my memory serves me well, Ohio was one of the first States to go to a State wide smoking ban. Well over 10 years ago.
It was 2005 or 2006 when the ban was passed, because I was just old enough to legally buy smokes for the last year my buddies and I could go to Denny’s at 2am and chainsmoke inside. I couldn’t imagine it now, nine asshole kids all smoking liking chimneys and chugging coffee. You can still find smoking hotel rooms in Ohio, but it’s chain dependent as some chains are completely smoke free no matter what.