Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedude

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010
Europe
While I've been a member here for awhile I've noticed a flurry of pipe smokers from the UK recently. I'd be curious to know how many of them are in the forum and where they get their pipes from,etc. From my perspective it seems pipe smoking has been on the decline the UK with the closure of many tobacconists. Would be great if some of us could perhaps get together and start our own UK pipe group.

Looking forward to hear from you!

mrwoppit

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
I'm new to the forum and new to smoking a pipe as well.

Tried one about 20 years ago and didn't stick with it. This time, with more experience in general and FAR more patience I'm enjoying it very much.

I'm part way between Oxford and Reading and so am kind of spoilt for tobacconists, with a good one in each city. In general I use Shave & Coster in Reading though. Very very helpful staff who really know their stuff and a fantastic array of pipes and tobacco. Going there tomorrow as it happens :)

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Hi,
I'm from Sussex I do most all of my shopping online, I don't like my local, he seems to sell products and pipes for a different type of weed which doesn't float my boat!
All the best!

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Welcome to all of you in England I'm from the Great State of Texas. I love the global aspect of this forum. It's always interesting to read how things work in other countries. I'm not well traveled at all so I'm always glad to hear what you have to say about our hobby in other places. Even the northern states of the US seem like distant countries to me.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Hey guys. I'm in Essex. I do all my shopping online as I have no local tobacconist. I've found gauntlets, black swan shoppe and Havana house all quick and efficient. Careys are quick to deliver pipes but only pet tobacco Mondays.

Jeez. I've spent so much already. I'm only a month in!

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I recommend going on youtube and checking out adzpipes. He is from the UK and i know he attends a group meeting from time to time. Good luck.

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Smoke-king.co.uk is the only place I go to for my pipe smoking hobby. Awsome staff and very competitive when it comes to prices, not to mention a huge selection of pipes, tobacco, accessories and the next day delivery option which is just fantastic - Highly recommended as I have to many other friends.

pipedude

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010
Europe
Great to hear everyone's responses! How long has everyone been into pipes? Pipe8 - you are a new member on here?

The only problem with smoke-king is the UK taxes :)

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Hi Pipedude, yes, I joined a couple of days ago, wish I did earlier, this site is fantastic and i've never been on such a friendly forum, it’s awesome.

I have been smoking pipes for 2 years; I originally started as I gave up cigars and found a wealth of information on pipe smoking on the net :)

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Been on the forum a while, smoked pipes for 17years (ish) .. Then to shop online or my local which is Turmeaus in Liverpool (cgarsltd.co.uk) .. Not a member of a club, mostly cause I couldn't find one outside of London!

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
We have a Turmeas in Chester too. While I like browsing in there while the womenfolk are clothes shopping they are expensive as hell, so I only really buy the Dunhill tins that my more local place (in Mold) doesn't stock.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Costs about £1 more per tin, but when waiting for a delivery, or walking the dog its handy to call in. Smaller shop these days since they moved and the pipe tobacco selection seems to reduce every time I go in, but I'm a creature of habit do not a major problem.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Crikey. The thing I like about the one in Chester is they keep stock of just about everything. The pipes seem to be a fair price also.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Happy New Year everyone! I'm recent on these forums and have been smoking pipes and the occasional cigar for about 4 years. Thought I'd give my two cents (or pennies as we're on the topic!) There are many UK pipe smokers around, particularly on Youtube infact, ADzPipes was mentioned earlier, he goes to Nottingham Pipe Club which is hosted by Glynn, of Gauntleys Tobacco and Cigars, currently the only UK retailer of GL Please tobaccos!
THere are a number of pipe clubs around, London, Bridlington, Nottingham, Birmingham (I think!) and Im part of Edinburgh Pipe Club :) Last year at Newark there were the British Pipe Smoking Championships and as far as I know theu're going for it again this year.
Greens of Leeds I really like because they do samples of all their tobaccos, price of tins and pouches nowadays, too much money to find out you don't like it! Never heard of the Reading tobacconist, my smoking shop are best price I think.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
I've been smoking for a couple of years now but Ive not been a member on the forum for more than a few months. I'm up in the hills in the north of Cheshire and fortunately Manchester still has a very good tobacconist whith a great selection of tobacco and pipes. I don't know if it's just that I'm more aware of it now I'm a pipe smoker but I reckon there's been a slight increase in the number of pipe smokers around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.