PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Is smokingpipes.com or smokingpipes.eu a lot off in sizing? And if a pipe maker has a size range like Ashton (X, 2X, 3X, LX) or Dunhill (group 1 till X) how serious should I take this sizing? I do get this is subject to form, a dublin is mostly not a cilinder but connical, but assuming both pipe chambers are cilinders. A XX sized Billiard is advertised as 40x18mm, a 3X sized advertised as 43x19, a LX 40x20 . If we again assume the 3 pipes have a cilindrical bowl the 3X sized bowl is LARGER than the LX sized bowl when you calculate the volume of the bowl (pi*r*h) while a LX pipe is advertised larger.

Now you wonder why the hell I would like to know this? Im a numbers guy (and therefore may have overlooked something), my benchmark is my cob I can smoke a certain tabacco with a certain way of packing in a certain amount of time and im wondering if I would be able to in a certain extent extrapolate those numbers to a larger or smaller pipe before even considering buying it. I do get pipe smoking is not exact science (which it shouldnt become anyway), but was just wondering you could approach only considering buying a pipe that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is smokingpipes.com or smokingpipes.eu a lot off in sizing? And if a pipe maker has a size range like Ashton (X, 2X, 3X, LX) or Dunhill (group 1 till X) how serious should I take this sizing? I do get this is subject to form, a dublin is mostly not a cilinder but connical, but assuming both pipe chambers are cilinders. A XX sized Billiard is advertised as 40x18mm, a 3X sized advertised as 43x19, a LX 40x20 . If we again assume the 3 pipes have a cilindrical bowl the 3X sized bowl is LARGER than the LX sized bowl when you calculate the volume of the bowl (pi*r*h) while a LX pipe is advertised larger.

Now you wonder why the hell I would like to know this? Im a numbers guy (and therefore may have overlooked something), my benchmark is my cob I can smoke a certain tabacco with a certain way of packing in a certain amount of time and im wondering if I would be able to in a certain extent extrapolate those numbers to a larger or smaller pipe before even considering buying it. I do get pipe smoking is not exact science (which it shouldnt become anyway), but was just wondering you could approach only considering buying a pipe that way.
The one thing I hate in talking about pipes, is when someone starts using those Dunhill briar group size numbers to talk about chamber sizes. They don't correlate with chamber sizes very well, as they are meant to denote the size of the ebuchon of briar used to make the pipe. Yes, yes, mostly a group 1 is small, but not always as small as a .5" wide chamber.

I much prefer inch sizes, as being an American, metric just doesn't make any sense to me. I have to use a Google calculator to convert it to inches anyway.

When Skip updated the website for the Briary, he hired me (because at the time I was in the lounge every morning anyways) to help him take pictures of his pipes to post. I took my digital scales, and slide tool to measure chamber depth and width. I spent a whole day measuring and writing down sizes on a sheet of paper for him. Because that is the number one thing I want when I buy a pipe that I can't hold in my hands before buying. Many times a pipe turns out smaller and way larger than expected when I open the box.
Anyways, after hearing me out and paying me to do the measurements, that SOB never posted the sizes. He never gave me a reason. He still hasn't. Just pictures of pipes on a bed of pebbles, and you can't tell from one pipe to the next if the pebbles are small or large. Phhhht... his problem now, but I am certain that if he posted sizes, he would sell more pipes online.
The only thing he would say is that they sell regardless, so there's that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To avoid frustration and endless discussion, shop at the sites that give full specs -- length, weight, diameter of chamber, depth of chamber, height of bowl, materials of bowl and shank, etc. I learned to shop Dunhill Group numbers by buying pipes at Iwan Ries, but it was by direct experience and actual purchases. Go with the specs, or if they aren't there, phone the retailer and get them. Designations like KS and XX, etc., are distinct to brands and not useful.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
You can gather a lot of information about the size from great vendors like SP. It can give you a jumping off point for what you are looking for. I agree with MSO that using the Dunhill group size designation is a much better barometer than brand designation of size. For most smokers, for example, a group 3 or 4 is probably the most usual size. You can also generally rely on the notion, for example, that most Italian pipes are more robust than pipes from other locales and that a Giant, GG, or maxima or multiple maxima pipe from a Italian house will not be a clencher (except for Embers)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
"Size matters", say some. "It's the circumference, not the length" say others. With size designations, whether it's Dunhill's group sizes, Barlings SS thru EXEXEL, Castello's K's, men are clearly preoccupied with size. To compound men's problems, size codes don't really correlate to any significant performance characteristics.
With all due respect to the circumference crowd it's the diameter that's more to the point. The majority of chamber diameters sold range between .7" and .8". There are smaller pipes which can have a .6" and large pots that boast a diameter of 1" or slightly more. It's the internals that determine how well a pipe functions, plus the bite zone. The externals are just window dressing. That seems to be true of life in general.

The externals are just window dressing. That seems to be true of life in general.
While I respect that opinion, I like to have a variety ranging from a .5" up to a 1.1" diameter chamber. Sometimes I prefer a thin wispy smoke, and sometimes I want a thicker and cooler smoke. Just like with cigars, the ring size make a huge difference... to me. Maybe not to those who would confuse...
With all due respect to the circumference crowd it's the diameter that's more to the point.
...circumference and diameter are directly correlated, ha ha.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
A XX sized Billiard is advertised as 40x18mm, a 3X sized advertised as 43x19, a LX 40x20 . If we again assume the 3 pipes have a cilindrical bowl the 3X sized bowl is LARGER than the LX sized bowl when you calculate the volume of the bowl (pi*r*h) while a LX pipe is advertised larger.
That’s a little bit like pricing a donut or bagel based on the size of the hole. Usually LX pipes are larger in briar. That often correlates to larger chamber but not always. The X system may designate size but also often rarity. It’s easier to get a viable smaller pipe more often than a larger one of the same quality. Same with Dunhill and Castello.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

ask them they are great about answering detailed questions (they may be just as crazy as the rest of us.).

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

I don't understand the issue. Why would you need to extrapolate anything on sp.com or sp.eu? The exact dimensions are stated for each pipe. Do you question their accuracy? Or are you complaining that Ashton's size grades are inconsistent? If the latter, you're not alone (for modern Ashtons).

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While I respect that opinion, I like to have a variety ranging from a .5" up to a 1.1" diameter chamber. Sometimes I prefer a thin wispy smoke, and sometimes I want a thicker and cooler smoke. Just like with cigars, the ring size make a huge difference... to me. Maybe not to those who would confuse...

...circumference and diameter are directly correlated, ha ha.
So have I. But they're outliers. Most pipes sold fall between the .7 and .8 inch mark.

Circumference and diameter are correlated, but not the same.

Circumference and diameter are correlated, but not the same.
I like mine to have a small circumference with a huge diameter. puffy

I mean yah, if one was only ever shopping amongst factory pipes, wothput branching out into a few petite Tsuges or Saveneli petites or piumas at .5” or even a few Randy Wileys or Brebia fat boys at almost 1” width chambers. If one were peruse Ropps, you could easily pick up a .5” or even a 1” . .6” can found if one were looking among many brands. Italian or French pipes would be where one could find many behemoth chambers.

But yeh, if one sticks to .7 - .8 range, you’ll never really know. But, that’s a tad different than saying there is no difference.

E032ECDE-98DD-4B65-BD47-FF90054F0805.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like mine to have a small circumference with a huge diameter. puffy

I mean yah, if one was only ever shopping amongst factory pipes, wothput branching out into a few petite Tsuges or Saveneli petites or piumas at .5” or even a few Randy Wileys or Brebia fat boys at almost 1” width chambers. If one were peruse Ropps, you could easily pick up a .5” or even a 1” . .6” can found if one were looking among many brands. Italian or French pipes would be where one could find many behemoth chambers.

But yeh, if one sticks to .7 - .8 range, you’ll never really know. But, that’s a tad different than saying there is no difference.

View attachment 73162
The sheer variety of shapes and sizes is amazing. I've got a few tiny pipes whose entire bowl could be slipped inside the chamber of one of my large pots. And there are some truly giant Ardors and others where the outer rim is easily 4 to 6" in diameter. There's all sorts of stuff to satisfy all manner of demand, no matter how pathological. Attend a pipe show and you'll see and be able to purchase, all kinds of crazy shit.
People buy all sorts of stuff that seems like a good idea at the time...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The group numbers are a big part of how I buy my pipes. I normally buy group 4-5 sized pipes. The specific dimensions can tell me if a pipe is a large group 4 or a small group 5. Before I buy a pipe I want to know all the dimensions that I feel are important.
Bowl height
Inside bowl depth
Inside bowl width
Length of pipe
Weight of pipe

Once I have those exact numbers then I can call it a solid group 5 or a large group 4. I have used this system for years and it makes it easy when you understand how the specific numbers work with the group numbers. The Dunhills go from a 1-6 and then what is called an ODA. That is Dunhill's largest not counting their Magnums.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The maker's designations of X, XL, LX and EX, let's say are often given at the point of sale by the maker to designate which is the smallest and largest in that lot. The pipes are compared one with the other, not against objective sizes.