PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I’ve noticed, generally, I prefer Briars with VA’s, Burley & Aeromatic blends with Cobs, and Oriental / Latakia blends with Meershaum pipes. There are exceptions, but this is usually how it ends up.

Have you noticed any blend types & pipe material preference?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ve noticed, generally, I prefer Briars with VA’s, Burley & Aeromatic blends with Cobs, and Oriental / Latakia blends with Meershaum pipes. There are exceptions, but this is usually how it ends up.

Have you noticed any blend types & pipe material preference?
pretty much the same. But not to the point of caring. Also dark fired is great in a meer, dark fired any thing.
Only sometimes is it dramatic but rarely. Oh and my peterson briar loves burly for some reason.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
pretty much the same. But not to the point of caring. Also dark fired is great in a meer, dark fired any thing.
Only sometimes is it dramatic but rarely. Oh and my peterson briar loves burly for some reason.

Same, not a conscious decision, but an observation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Same, not a conscious decision, but an observation.
Well they do seem to handle certain blends a smidge better then others. Burly for instance tastes a touch gentler and sweeter in a cob. English tastes slightly more defined in a meer. Nothing dramatic but kind of reminds me of how some drinks really go better in certain glasses. Probably a bunch of tiny factors coming together.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The only difference I've noticed is that cobs and meers are more forgiving with wetter tobacco than briar, but taste exactly the same in whatever pipe I put them in.
Cobs can really make a difference with some aromatics in my opinion. Like Erinmore taste very different in a cob the fruit is far more pronounced in my opinion. Gold Coins by Savinelli tastes really good but weird in a cob compared to a briar. Though there are only a handful of blends that I can see much of a difference usually ones that have more complex profiles certain bits just seem more pronounced. Some blends taste kind of dull in a cob or meer too which might be a moisture issue.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
HH Syrian tastes superb in my meers, as does McClellands Drama. Penzance tastes good in darn near any pipe.

Reactions: anotherbob