PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nording key stones, have never needed them but I have been intrigued with the theory behind them. Anyone use these ?
I used Akadama soil years ago. Some use meerschaum shards. Neither works as well as dry tobacco loosely packed.

• Love
Reactions: B.Fee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never seen pipe screens (inside the bowl screens) used at all, but certainly not with tobacco pipes. I kinda don't think that's a tobacco pipe "thing."

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Screens aren’t for tobacco pipes. ]

Let's try to put order for giving the correct information to people who are inquiring, particularly if they are beginners and if they have trouble with suboptimal combustion.
Provided screens are not used by the great majority of tobacco pipes users and that are for the most part used for other types of smokable products, there are screens/grids which are designed and used for tobacco pipes. If you to the Paronelli online shop, which is a reputable tobacco pipe only shop, they actually do sell brass grid for tobacco pipes with the specific indication of "ALLOWS YOU TO KEEP AN OPTIMAL COMBUSTION" and other tobacco pipe shops also sells them for tobacco pipe use.
This is not to say they are necessary but as I proved by myself can improve tobacco combustion. Can I achieve the same with proper drying and packing of the baccy? Yes and actually now I improved my packing technique I am using less and less. But there is nothing wrong using them in tobacco pipes and actually can help a beginner while learning the proper drying and packing or can help in situations when the baccy is not completely dried and you don't want to wait too much for drying.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
had one pipe that the draft hole was too huge and used screens for that piece of garbage.
I have a Hecht Optime billiard I bought from France. It was one of many pipes found in an attic of a old pipe maker from the 1950s. They found hundreds of boxed pipes never used so I bought one. When it finally came I noticed the draft hole in the bowl was way too big and over to the left. So I bought those screens and put it in the bottom. I had to the tobacco was shooting up in the stem!

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob