PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Been enjoying many pipes for about 8 years now and still wondering about the use of pipe screens. I worked in a pipe / cigar shop and remember there being two different materials used. So, why use a pipe screen and what are the benefits of using brass or silver?

PipesAndCigarsInFrance

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2020
France
Hey my friend!
I have never used one....for years I have meant to given I live by the coast.
In short they help in windy conditions protecting the embers/tobacco being blown around. Also handy if you put a half finished pipe in your pocket. Can also help slow smoking speed in general.
In terms of brass and silver, I cannot help. Different costs perhaps?

EDIT: I think I am referring to pipe covers...screens are another thing that I have no idea about. I apologise.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

jaxonlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Butte, Montana, USA
I assume, badbriar, that you are referring to the tiny round screens occasionally sold at a tobacconist but more often found in a "head shop"? I believe, and I'm open to be corrected, that those screens tend to be used in the bottom of pipes which are meant for more recreational herbal usage than tobacco. In other words, it keeps the ashes and embers from marijuana from sneaking through and giving a nasty surprise.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I tried them a few times but eventually did not bother anymore. They do keep a bit of tobacco out of the draft hole on some occasions but after smoking the screen gets a bit gunky and I did not want the bother of cleaning it.
Now I just use a "sacrificial" tobacco for the first pinch of tobacco (a tobacco blend that I did not like too much) and then pack as normal my preferred tobacco and then never smoke right to the bottom. Seems to work well for me.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
While the screens are mainly used for weed the reason of their use with tobacco pipe, in addition to avoid the obstruction of the draft hole, is mainly to create an air chamber below the tobacco to improve the combustion. I sometime use them and they actually improve the combustion if you shape the screen to create a concavity below the tobacco. It can help particularly the beginners who tend to pack too tight the tobacco; when you gain more experience with packing you can achieve similar results with a proper packing. So they can help to improve combustion particularly for beginners.

bermuda

Lurker
May 30, 2019
The use of screens in a pipe intended for tobacco is inappropriate. Functionally, one or the point of "breaking in" a pipe is to try to form the cake all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This avoids problems later with wet smoking. If you use a screen the bottom of the bowl never gets caked an thus will always smoke wet, an undesirable and unpleasant experience. Save the screens for weed in a metal pipe, not for fine briar pipes and pipe tobacco. Also someone mentioned screens avoid clogged draft holes. With respect, if you pack the pipe properly with quality tobacco this should never be an issue. Keep puffin.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Functionally, one or the point of "breaking in" a pipe is to try to form the cake all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This avoids problems later with wet smoking. I
That's mostly been debunked. Many no longer allow cake to form and wet smoking can be fixed with drier tobacco, looser packing, and slower smoking.

Reactions: JLD66 and B.Fee

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Have to disagree with well formed cake being a guarantee against gurgling or wet pipes.

And using a screen is, for me, a complete waste of time, but hardly inappropriate for those who need or prefer them for whatever reason.

Edit: Wrote this before I saw that Duane had said much the same.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
I've broken in brand new pipes that smoke dry with no cake. And I've smoked pipes with well formed cake that smoke wet. Personally, I prefer the taste of tobacco to the taste of burning wood, so I like to keep a light cake. My preference.