PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
I want to sell some of my Savinelli pipes on EBay. What price should I ask relatively to the price of a new? Let's assume I've bought it for $100, what can I hope to get after a year?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Depends on Condition and model. Some are more sought after than others. I can't really tell you what they are worth, I only look for Autographs and Pipe of the year models. And then I try to pay 20% or so of the new price. lol.
Good luck!

Aug 1, 2012
Toss up a few pictures (or drop me a PM) and I can give you an idea of what I would ask. If I were in your shoes though, I would avoid the mention of selling on the dreaded 'Bay as that is competition to BriarBid.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Look for similar estate models currently for sale or have recently sold. That is the best way to value anything.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've sold a few estate pipes on eBay over the years and have discovered that the following general rule of thumb is accurate (although never an exact science). Most mid-grade pipes, if in good condition, will sell on ebay for about 50% of retail.
Best,

Pipestud

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I think you can break a lot of ebay buyers down to two groups.
1. Guys who want clean, polished, nicer pipes and they don't mind paying a little extra for it. These pipes are beauts and can be smoked right out of the gate. These pipes probably can sell for 50% of their retail value.
2. Guys like me who want good pipes as cheap as possible. We buy old beat, nasty, oxidized pipes with the fact that we enjoy restoring them and know we can get a good solid pipe at 25% of it's value. (Yes, I said value not retail)
It's an over generalization yes. So I guess it of course comes down to what kind and condition of pipe it is.
And ditto what Al said.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savenellis should hold their value better than many mid-level pipes with less established names.

I'd start them at 30% to 40% of what you paid retail and hope they bid up beyond 50%. Since

they're relatively new, and most of them are likely still available new, most buyers are going to

compare the price to the current item directly. With older pipes, people can't place the price

as exactly, and older pipes in good shape may gain a little in collectible status. You can't get one

of those any more. This is a fine art, and I'm not experienced, but that's my best instinct.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It's all about condition and the brand name/model, I've seen people sell restored pipes for $20 less than retail on pipes for $100 (80% retail). Savs are really well known so if it's in perfect condition a $100 pipe with free shipping may sell for as high as $80. Any nicks and your looking at a 50% price drop pretty much for light ones. Since Savs are such quick sellers (and hold value), your pretty well off just throwing them up for 30-50% (depending on condition) of what you paid with free or extremely cheap shipping and they'll probably bid up from there.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
You are better off doing a 7-day auction that starts at $0.99 with no reserve, and end during reasonable hours on a weekend. Just look at prior auctions to make sure you get the right keywords in the title and description. Also, take the best photos you can. I'd generally list each item individually, and offer to combine on shipping.
By starting at $0.99 you attract the most attention early. Many people refuse to bid on reserve items. Buy it now is kind of pointless because items often go for more in an auction format. The only time it is that useful is if you have a high dollar item and you want to put it up for a crazy price and encourage people to make offers.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I've sold a few estate pipes on eBay over the years
Pipestud I think you understating your ebay sales a bit. If you sell on the bay using pipestud as your username. I see many beautiful pipes for sale under that name. Pipestud is on my favorite seller list, I haven't won an auction yet but I've been in the neighborhood once or twice.
For the original question I usually try to buy at under 33% of the original price. Also as mentioned earlier check out the previous auctions for a better idea of what to expect.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
Thank all for useful tips.
Rothnh, no disrespect for other channels here. I'm more or less familiar with eBay while even do not know about existence of BriarBid.

Status
Not open for further replies.