Pipe Restoration Series #2: Sportex Century Old Italian Briar Shape 83-43 + Italian Briar Opera with built in Cap

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Hello fellow pipers!

So for restoration series number 2 I've picked two pipes out of the collection that should prove a bit more challenging that that last one I did. Cleaning was done with damp rags for the most part because I didn't want to deal with restaining the whole bowls (even though I ended up restaining the Sportex) and the bowls were soaked with Kosher Salt and Everclear.

I'll post the finished pics first so you can see the pipes in all their glory. I might end up going back to the Sportex stem because I missed a spot that was noticeable in sunlight, but for now I'm happy with the results.

Here's the Sportex, not sure if the 83 43 markings on the bottom are Shape/Date or Date/Shape but if it really is a century old I'm looking forward to seeing how she smokes!
OUTsqSg.jpeg

And here's the Opera with Cap
EDhL9cf.jpeg

Here's the Full Album with Progress

All praise to @chasingembers @BROBS and the rest of the restoration squad on here for the tips and inspiration!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hello fellow pipers!

So for restoration series number 2 I've picked two pipes out of the collection that should prove a bit more challenging that that last one I did. Cleaning was done with damp rags for the most part because I didn't want to deal with restaining the whole bowls (even though I ended up restaining the Sportex) and the bowls were soaked with Kosher Salt and Everclear.

I'll post the finished pics first so you can see the pipes in all their glory. I might end up going back to the Sportex stem because I missed a spot that was noticeable in sunlight, but for now I'm happy with the results.

Here's the Sportex, not sure if the 83 43 markings on the bottom are Shape/Date or Date/Shape but if it really is a century old I'm looking forward to seeing how she smokes!
OUTsqSg.jpeg

EDhL9cf.jpeg

All praise to @chasingembers @BROBS and the rest of the restoration squad on here for the tips and inspiration!
Looking great!

Reactions: BROBS and JPremo

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hello fellow pipers!

OUTsqSg.jpeg

EDhL9cf.jpeg

Those look great man! Is the metal piece of the sportex threaded?
The opera with cap is badass!!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Those look great man! Is the metal piece of the sportex threaded?
The opera with cap is badass!!
Thanks! I gave it a tug and a twist when I was cleaning but it felt pretty solid in there so I didn't want to crank on it. It's definitely threaded on the stem side so there's no getting rid of the condenser, but it passes a pipe cleaner with minor jiggling sooopuffy

I'm actually getting some decent mileage out of that Opera pipe using the cap to smoke outdoors on windy days!

Here's a blurry shot of the new rim on the Sportex for everyone since I missed it in the Album, I'm very happy with how the topping came out once stained and buffed.
4s4BXTW.jpg

It's hard to take one handed pics while trying to get my dog to sit still!

Status
Not open for further replies.