PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
Good evening my friends,

I wanted some quick tips on how to rest a pipe. Since i bought my first pipe yesterday I haven't lit it today. How long should I rest it and is there something specific I have to do? Also, any good very aromatic tobaccos to try? Thanks a lot!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I would worry less about resting a pipe and more about not letting it get hot in the first place.

Some people are almost fanatical about this kind of stuff but I often repeatedly smoke a pipe without ever having a problem. I don't see repacking and smoking a single pipe really any different than relighting a pipe that went out.

So don't stress over it. There's nothing specific other than being mindful of temperature. My general rule is if it is to hot to hold in my hand I need to stop smoking it and let it cool. Even if this means relighting later. Besides, tobacco tastes better/more flavorful when smoked as cool as possible.

A good job of packing the pipe will go a long way towards keeping it going while nice and cool.

There are lots of good aromatics to try but if you're unfamiliar with pipes they likely won't be what you're expecting them to be. Is there a flavor in particular you're looking for?

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
I would worry less about resting a pipe and more about not letting it get hot in the first place.

Some people are almost fanatical about this kind of stuff but I often repeatedly smoke a pipe without ever having a problem. I don't see repacking and smoking a single pipe really any different than relighting a pipe that went out.

So don't stress over it. There's nothing specific other than being mindful of temperature. My general rule is if it is to hot to hold in my hand I need to stop smoking it and let it cool. Even if this means relighting later. Besides, tobacco tastes better/more flavorful when smoked as cool as possible.

A good job of packing the pipe will go a long way towards keeping it going while nice and cool.

There are lots of good aromatics to try but if you're unfamiliar with pipes they likely won't be what you're expecting them to be. Is there a flavor in particular you're looking for?
Here's the deal I bought Mac Baren Classic and I've been said that it has a vanilla aroma. So, the question is if this tobacco is aromatic, or if there is something with an even richer taste and aroma. As for flavours, I'd admire something vanilla or something fruity, like blackberry etc. I don't know of something like this even exists.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Here's the deal I bought Mac Baren Classic and I've been said that it has a vanilla aroma. So, the question is if this tobacco is aromatic, or if there is something with an even richer taste and aroma. As for flavours, I'd admire something vanilla or something fruity, like blackberry etc. I don't know of something like this even exists.
I personally don't worry about if a blend is considered aromatic or not. There is no standardization as to what the term is defined as.

That being said, if we keep separate the terms flavor and aroma, it is easy to figure things out or at least find what you like.

A lot of aromatics that are vanilla have a nice vanilla aroma but really only taste slightly sweet at best. This actually seems to be the case with most aromatics.

The only blend I know of where "berry" is easy to detect in both the aroma and flavor is Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday. It would be an exaggeration to say it is like smoking a berry pie but it gets the point across.

For a noticeable vanilla flavor that is also nice and sweet I would recommend Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. There are lots of other good vanilla aromatics out there that smell great but taste mostly sweet and not vanilla.

There are plenty of good aromatics out there with other flavors as well as the flavors mentioned but the two above are very easy to actually get the flavor that matches the aroma even with a broad range of smoking temperature and/or style.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Like @shanez I try not to get my pipes too hot. That can be difficult when you are first starting, as it's really easy to overpuff. When you do this, you are essentially creating a mini forge, with your puffing as the bellows.
This can lead to tongue scalding, will create a hot uncomfortable smoke, and will make even the sweetest tobacco taste ashy and bad.
If you never let it get too hot in the first place, you can safely smoke your pipe all day long without worry! Our collective grandpa's did. :)

As far as aromatics go, my favorite standby aromatic is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. It's tasty, easy to smoke, and inexpensive. I do like the vanillas as well, with my current favorite being the Mac Baren Vanilla roll cake.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Another good sweet blend that, to me, is almost marshmallow instead of vanilla is Stuliff Motlo Dolce. It does make a weird crackling sound as you smoke it but there's quite a bit of flavor to it.

I also really enjoy GH&C American Delight. It has a mild candy bar flavor.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I do agree and try not let my pipe get hot. I tend to smoke for short periods and concentrate on tasting. I also tend to relight several times and the pile of matches is evidence...LOL!!

Someone introduced me to sipping and that's been as good of a piece of advice that I have found. THis allows me to use every draw and satisfy the reason I am using a pipe.

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
Another good sweet blend that, to me, is almost marshmallow instead of vanilla is Stuliff Motlo Dolce. It does make a weird crackling sound as you smoke it but there's quite a bit of flavor to it.

I also really enjoy GH&C American Delight. It has a mild candy bar flavor.
Yeah, I know what I want. I think that my Mac Baren Classic is good but it is not as sweet as I want. I think if I'm not making any mistakes in the way I pack my pipe, then this blend is too tobaccoey, correct me if I'm wrong. So, yes definitely I want something that is sweeter in my mouth.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Yeah, I know what I want. I think that my Mac Baren Classic is good but it is not as sweet as I want. I think if I'm not making any mistakes in the way I pack my pipe, then this blend is too tobaccoey, correct me if I'm wrong. So, yes definitely I want something that is sweeter in my mouth.
Molto Dolce is probably a good choice for you.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

Depends what you mean, the answer to the bold is yes, and yes.

There are super strong aromatics with no tobacco taste or nicotine, and super strong aromatics with plenty of tobacco taste and nicotine. There's basically something for everyone in pipe smoking. The pity is Greece is tobacco desert so you need to order from Germany pretty much.

You don't sound wrong, It is a tobacco-forward aromatic, and that's why a lot of people (like me) like it. This is something you'll read many times: the experience with aromatics improves as your "skill" in pipe smoking improves as well. I like MacBaren classic a lot, but for me it is way too sweet and strong in the vanilla to smoke straight, so I always mix it 2:1 with Epos Green and Epos Brown.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I tend to smoke my pipes once a day. If I smoke it twice, I'll give it a day off. I can't remember the last time I smoked a pipe 3 times in a day, but I'd probably give it another day of rest if I did. This was standard advice I received as a new smoker and it seems to work well enough. The big problem I noticed early on with repeatedly smoking the same pipe in the same day is they started to taste a bit funky and smoked a little wetter. This might just be my own problem with technique, but it is what has kept me from exceeding two bowls in the same pipe on the same day for so long.

And hell yeah, take @shanez advice and get some Sutliff Molto Dolce. That will cure any sweet tooth you might have. Sutliff's Creme Brulee is similar and available in bulk. I thought MacBaren's Vanilla Cream was pretty good, too, and seemed very sweet to me, but maybe not for you. Worth a try, though, I think.

Reactions: kcghost

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Other than what has been mentioned, free ranging pipes are happy pipes. Occasional beer massage helps. Quality dawn pillow, and high count linen sheet doesn't hurt.