PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have found that pipe repairs on the old meerschaum pipes can be very problematic. In the past (i.e.) 100+ years ago they used to thread the stem so that it screwed directly into the shank of the pipe. With 100+ years of brute force and ignorance this usually results in the shank threads getting stripped. Hence why when you buy a pipe on O'vey.com you find the stem and shank are like a proverbial 'string in a bucket' and have to be repaired. I have had the longer specimens shortened to overcome this issue although I would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
I recently acquired a Vienna made pipe that is over 100 years old, it's tenon is made of bone and the portion that goes into the pipe is a smooth slightly tapered section that would be adhered into the shank, the other end has fine threads on it that the stem threads onto, I think it depended on the marker as to the design of the tenon, the type you spoke of definitely sounds problematic.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The bone tenon's always give headaches. This is is especially true on the early 1870s pipes since the stinger which was normally a bird quill was glued into the bone tenon which makes cleaning a complete fecking nightmare. Until recently it was impossible to find a pipe cleaner that would go down the stem without knocking out the 100+ year old stinger and damaging the amber seating.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
The bone tenon's always give headaches. This is is especially true on the early 1870s pipes since the stinger which was normally a bird quill was glued into the bone tenon which makes cleaning a complete fecking nightmare. Until recently it was impossible to find a pipe cleaner that would go down the stem without knocking out the 100+ year old stinger and damaging the amber seating.

Wow, that's very interesting, I didn't know they made them like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.