PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankbuster183

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Deptford NJ
Many of the pipe racks on eBay are your father’s and grandfather’s pipe racks for the smaller pipes they smoked, meaning they do not have the required center to center spacing in the seats
Very true. I have a little stand alone cradle since no rack seems to fit a Nording freehand!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I modified all of my racks by cutting the o-stem hole into a u-shape with a jigsaw. I have a total of three of these modified Fairfax racks in my cabinet. They work well with 90% of my larger pipes. The real jumbo's go in single pipe holders.
Before:

After:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
That's a great idea, ssj! I'm going to do that - and looks like a fun project to boot. Nice re-finish too, I like darker stain. I may do that as well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is just weird lighting, no change in stain color. I tape off, draw the cuts with a ruler and use a jigsaw. I smooth the cuts with a drum sander in my Dremel. I wipes some stain into the raw wood and rub Old English over the rack. Maybe 30 mins of work.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, that is indeed a great idea! I have a couple of the older racks by Decatur that I got off of ebay and I simply didn't anticipate about how difficult could can be, and sometimes impossible it is to place some of my pipe stems through the holes. Works fine with smaller pipes, but the ones that are larger and have a longer stem will not work. Also, as pointed out by mrdottle, the spacing is much too close for some of the pipes. Your idea looks like a great, and yet a simple solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.