PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm listening to the Sykes & Rick Newcombe IPSD episode 75 and the part came up about price.
When I first got into the hobby I thought every pipe should be $20. Why would anyone spend $100 on a pipe? Pipes are pipes right? Then I got into the hobby seriously and saw a Peterson Aran for $80 and didn't think twice about buying it. Then I upped my price range to $100 since I hadn't thought twice about spending $80.
I started getting into forums and YouTube after that and had grown an affection for Peterson. I saw their 2011 Pipe of the Year and loved the paneled brandy. Price had jumped up to $220, but I still bought the pipe. It's been a great smoker for many years.
I had come to the point of okay now I'm not spending more than $220 on a pipe. I'm fine with pipes under that price point.
Fast forward to this year. I'm browsing SmokingPipes (shameless plug) estates section just because one day and there was a smooth straight billiard with a bamboo shank from Pete Prevost for $250. My info is stored on that site so as soon as I saw it I put it in the cart and had it on its way to me. A few weeks later I saw a Peterson Silver Spigot sandblasted shape 87 (straight apple) with antler stem. I hadn't seen an antler stem at that point and loved the pipe so much again I put it straight in the cart and had it heading my way. I've also always liked Dr Bob's pipes. I have two of them. Now this year I'm planning on picking up a hawbill from him at the Westcoast Show. Those typically run around $350 on his site. My ceiling now is roughly $500 if the pipe (shape & stem) and maker are right and it's one of those can't pass on pipes I'll pay that for it.
From my personal experience I don't think anyone should ever say I won't spend more than ____ on a pipe. I think people should look at it as right now my budget is _____. Will I ever have the budget for a Bo Nordh or Lars Ivarsson, probably not. If some how I did have the finances to spend $5,000 on a pipe would I buy a Nordh or Ivarsson, if it caught my eye and I fell in love with it absolutely.
Are these higher priced pipes better, that's subjective. In my experience there really is a difference in drilling and engineering from a $50 pipe to a $250 pipe. Personally I think once you crack the $250 range the extra price is because of the maker or the limited number of them made.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
As long as the kids ain't starving or wearing other peoples' clothes, I say go for it.
Life's short.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like most money management, the allotment for a hobby, tobacco pipes in this case, is intensely personal. My setting a price cap on someone else's pipe purchases is intrusive, prudish, pompous, and mega-stupid. Maybe once year, I could shoot the moon on a pipe (within my limits, of course). Instead, though I've done that once or twice over the years, I've elected to mostly stay with more moderate prices. The sport is to lay in wait for those pipes that are way above their price points, because of sales, discount, or pure chance. But if someone can "afford" a magnificent pipe and maintain their fiscal balance, and that is what makes them happy, good. It makes me happy to smoke my several truly fine pipes, and it makes me happy to have excellent smoking out of my moderately priced or incredibly low-priced pipes too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I didn't have 4 kids all going to college over the last decade, I would own a dozen Jess pipes at 5 grand a pop. My limit has been 500.00 but only for special pipes like a Goblin from Trever Talbot. Most of my new Rad Davis were all around 375-450 and I could live with that. For me having a beautiful hand cut stem makes my enjoyment go up a big factor.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I used to think Castello pipes were expensive (and still are) until I started chasing the Great Danes. Now I see a Castello and think, “ooh not a bad price.”

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I started in the '90s thinking that $20 was too much. Then in the mid 2000s I bought my first $100 pipe. Later discovered Bruce Weaver and paid a lot more. During the Weaver period, my acquisitions of other pipes ranged from $10 to $200, but since Bruce's retirement, I can't bring myself to pay more than $60. I've become far to interested in restorations, and anything more can go on tobacco.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my experience there really is a difference in drilling and engineering from a $50 pipe to a $250 pipe.
I never found such a difference but understand that you do. Can you communicate the perceptions that constitute that difference?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I never found such a difference but understand that you do. Can you communicate the perceptions that constitute that difference?
It's not really perceptions so much as it is what happens. The differences in drilling in a $50 pipe and a $250 pipe is the attention to detail. With a $50 pipes they're mass producing them. Those pipes are done much more slap dash than the $250 pipes. The drilling typically isn't lined up as straight and it typically ends up drilled too high above the heel of the bowl which is terrible for gurgling because moisture builds up in the heel of the bowl. Yes there are some in the $50 range that actually do get drilled correctly, but your chances of finding it are much lower than in the $250 range.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
When I was much younger than I am now (I will soon be 76) I spent quite a good bit of money on pretty pipes 200 or so of them.Later on after bumping into a quality pipe.I realized two things.1-I didn't need that many pipes.2-Those pretty pipes really didn't smoke that well.I got rid of the pretty pipes.Now I have about 30 quality pipes.All that I will ever need..My point to this is mostly to younger smokers.Don't spend a lot of money on lesser quality pipes because you read constantly on these forums about building a rotation.Take your time put some money together and buy a quality pipe.Before you know it you'll have a rotation of quality pipes and much too soon you'll be an old man like me appreciating the smoking pleasure those pipes give you.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Moderate price" vs "extravagant" is purely a subjective evaluation usually based on one's pecuniary philosophy and/or situation. What constitutes a good, bad or great smoking pipe is simply a matter of personal preference and expectations. I do not keep a pipe which does not meet my expectations. Sixty years of smoking have left with me with thirty excellent smokers, more than sufficient for my needs. I still browse displays though but, with no sense of urgency.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have some $45 to $70 pipes I bought on eBay that smoke fantastic. I have 9 Moretti pipes I bought new from Marco on eBay in the $100 range that all smoke great. Then I have a number of castello and artisan pipes that in general, I like the best. However, I get most all into the rotation. Imho, the main difference is I've found the Moretti, castello and artisan pipes consistently smoke good. The sub $100 are rather hit or miss, especially with the drilling. But what you want and can afford. Buying pipes beyond your means is more than silly but it's certainly happened countless times. Obviously, is not just pipes this happens with.
I'm putting a lot more money into tobacco than pipes. I'd rather smoke excellent tobacco in cheap pipes than vice versa.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My three favorite pipes are those in which I smoked my favorite the most. The regret of not being able to afford more beautiful pipes is transient, though some pipes have the capacity to linger in my mind. So for me it is the history that I've developed with a pipe that matters most.
As regards the ridiculous term "engineering," let t me suggest an alternate about which you've certainly heard, "drilling." How does one engineer drilling a straight line through the stem and thank into the bottom of the bowl that is centered? I don't think any engineer would apply the term to drilling a pipe. I can't remember ever getting a pipe that was drilled high, but if I did, it was returned.
I don't believe there is any difference between cheap and expensive pipes regarding their drilling, at least as regards the pipes that came through my hands.,

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I have only been puffing pipes for a short time and so far have only purchased estate pipes. There are no longer any tobbaconists here so perusing new pipes in person is not possible. So far I have only 5 pipes that I use and the prices paid for them range from $8 - $65 (NZ). I dont think I would want to pay more than $65 for an estate pipe unless it was particularly desirable but I'm yet to find that one. I do look at lots of great pipes on various sites and will no doubt buy a beauty sometime.

Things are a bit skewed here though as a 50gram of baccy costs $100 so buying a tin is almost considered a major purchase, estate pipes are cheap by comparison.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
The very first pipe I ever bought was drilled about3 mm high (1/8 inch). It took all of 10 minutes to correct that with a bit of pipe mud. Aesthetics aside, I don't think that's worth over $100.
Just sayin.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
There are so many factors that go into a pipe being preferred over others. Even if I think one pipe smokes better than another, I'm probably biased due to aesthetics, nostalgia or some deep psychological imprint from when I was a toddler sitting on Grampa's knee.
I certainly have preferences, but never based on the price paid for a pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.