PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
Good evening and happy thanksgiving eve to all. Was reading a bit on Ferndown Pipes and I understand that Les woods wife Dolly would treat the bowls with oil. This would produce a high finish on the bowl and give the pipe a nut like flavor when smoked. Any suggestions on what oil she may have been using . would like to polish a few Ferndowns in my collection.

thanks

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No oil will give a really high gloss, but plenty enough for me. I use mineral oil or "Feed n Wax" (which has some carnauba in it, but is a liquid) every week when I batch clean my pipes that I've smoked. It's plenty glossy enough, though I do love a good buff with carnauba, which I have to rely on a pipe shop to do, now few and far between.

As to oil imparting a nut like flavor, it's almost certainly a nose job, so to speak, unless the chamber is coated!

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
No oil will give a really high gloss, but plenty enough for me. I use mineral oil or "Feed n Wax" (which has some carnauba in it, but is a liquid) every week when I batch clean my pipes that I've smoked. It's plenty glossy enough, though I do love a good buff with carnauba, which I have to rely on a pipe shop to do, now few and far between.

As to oil imparting a nut like flavor, it's almost certainly a nose job, so to speak, unless the chamber is coated!
I think his wife Dolly as mentioned would actually coat the chamber in the oil as it says the first few smokes would have an imparted signature flavor. Surely it gave a memorable aromatic experience.

Reactions: fjc623 and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.