PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
It
You mean to tell me you have a sparkless lighter? Neat! All kidding aside, a piece of hemp that lights once and stays lit is handy, especially in windy conditions. No multiple sparks from a lighter. And it rolls up and disappears in the pocket. It is a handy tool, but by no means the right way to do anything. Just dirt cheap and a great way to not need more than a moment of lighter use.
if your hemp wick is waxed it emits a lower temperature flame than traditional lighters, so that is another +

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee
Were you aware of this ?
😉

There are many mysteries about Pipes by Lee lost to the mists of time.

Who are we, at this distance in time, to discount anything we might hear about the phenomena that Lee pipes are still quite often found as new or perhaps only ritually smoked a few times?

My one Lee Five Star arrived unsmoked in its correct Five Star sleeve inside the original Five Star box with papers and accessories.

It’s more than likely it was presented to a highly honored man, then left as it was gifted.

Was he a made man?

Who can say, but he surely had it made, you know?

There are many mysteries about Pipes by Lee lost to the mists of time.

Who are we, at this distance in time, to discount anything we might hear about the phenomena that Lee pipes are still quite often found as new or perhaps only ritually smoked a few times?

My one Lee Five Star arrived unsmoked in its correct Five Star sleeve inside the original Five Star box with papers and accessories.

It’s more than likely it was presented to a highly honored man, then left as it was gifted.

Was he a made man?

Who can say, but he surely had it made, you know?
I've said it once... I'll say it again. Like me, if someone gave me a Five Star Lee, I'd nod with feigned appreciation and slap it into a drawer, where it would stay till I died, while smoking my good pipes day in and day out. Then, once I was dead, maybe someone would come along sell it, as unsmoked, making someone say, "why the guy must have loved it so much he didn't even want to smoke it," ha ha.

I do have a couple of Dr Grabows in my drawer that someone who didn't know anything about pipes gave me thinking that a pipe was just a pipe. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Wants and addictions are not needs.
But often an organisms wants are based off of their needs. Though the more we have this conversation, the more I see that your definition of needs is immediate and critical needs. Not all needs are about survival now. The things an organism requires to be fully functional and healthy are needs. For example if you don't have social experiences you're not going to die right away but it still causes physical and mental break downs in a persons system. And those break downs do often lead to earlier deaths. In fact though I would go as far to say that wants are expressions of needs. Now those expression can get twisted up and distorted but their root is still in need.
And if you really want to take a need to the level of something that is absolutely critical then there really aren't any. For example life is superfluous thing, it doesn't need to be. So even if the organism starves on the bigger picture level doesn't matter. But that organism still needs food.
To me the issue is that your definition of need is too narrow and ignores the importance of anything beyond survival.

Reactions: Briar Lee

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Obscuring truth never leads to a good outcome.
and what if that truth is already obscured? Myths often explain things that people can't do at the time. But they still bring more important truths out. A classic example are the cultures that believe evil spirits live in certain water ways. Maybe there are or are not evil spirits in those places just waiting to drown people... However the fact that these are dangerous places that people should be careful and respectful of is about as solid of a fact as possible. If myths help people understand things then they're doing the literal opposite of obscuring the truth. And I can't think of anything that can't be abused or used to cause a bad outcome. Funny life is just tricky like that and pretty complicated.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I've said it once... I'll say it again. Like me, if someone gave me a Five Star Lee, I'd nod with feigned appreciation and slap it into a drawer, where it would stay till I died, while smoking my good pipes day in and day out. Then, once I was dead, maybe someone would come along sell it, as unsmoked, making someone say, "why the guy must have loved it so much he didn't even want to smoke it," ha ha.

I do have a couple of Dr Grabows in my drawer that someone who didn't know anything about pipes gave me thinking that a pipe was just a pipe. puffy
Vous, mon ami, sache que parfois, une pipe n'est qu'une pipe!

C'est Vrai!

Freud knew this to be true and so, apparently do your friends.

telescopes

But often an organisms wants are based off of their needs. Though the more we have this conversation, the more I see that your definition of needs is immediate and critical needs. Not all needs are about survival now. The things an organism requires to be fully functional and healthy are needs. For example if you don't have social experiences you're not going to die right away but it still causes physical and mental break downs in a persons system. And those break downs do often lead to earlier deaths. In fact though I would go as far to say that wants are expressions of needs. Now those expression can get twisted up and distorted but their root is still in need.
And if you really want to take a need to the level of something that is absolutely critical then there really aren't any. For example life is superfluous thing, it doesn't need to be. So even if the organism starves on the bigger picture level doesn't matter. But that organism still needs food.
To me the issue is that your definition of need is too narrow and ignores the importance of anything beyond survival.
Anotherbob, our good friend, cares little for Maslow, whom I think you may be somewhat referencing. I believe he sees the world on a ________ that most do not. ;)

But I agree with you.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
On another thread a friend suggested there should be a thread to expose pipe myths.

When I was growing up . . .
@Briar Lee - thank you for sharing your thoughts, stories, observations and questions. And thank you for your time. Your creativity and mind shine brightly through your posts. And for me, most all, you regularly brighten my day and nights. This one is a perfect example and I'm looking forward to reading it again, and the complete thread later tonight. What fun!

kindly
mike

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Didn’t know that Freud was into not smoking Dr. Grabow.
Vous, mon ami, sache que parfois, une pipe n'est qu'une pipe!

C'est Vrai!

Freud knew this to be true and so, apparently do your friends.

But he had a rush on cokaine.

And I am not sure if he was able to speak even a word in French. Did I miss a point?

It was Rene Magritte who stated “Ceci n’est pas une pipe” in that painting. And it wasn’t meant as clew to Grabouws and not even to pipe smoking as we all know.

telescopes

Didn’t know that Freud was into not smoking Dr. Grabow.

But he had a rush on cokaine.

And I am not sure if he was able to speak even a word in French. Did I miss a point?

It was Rene Magritte who stated “Ceci n’est pas une pipe” in that painting. And it wasn’t meant as clew to Grabouws and not even to pipe smoking as we all know.
Yes, I know. I was being silly. Cosmic's statement, "thinking a pipe is just a pipe" made me recall the old saying attributed to Freud. As for as Magritte, I love his quote and enjoy using it. In the case above, I reversed it to say, "You know my friend, some time a pipe is just a pipe. "

BUT, here is how google translate understood it to be:

iFB84FBFB-D209-4A2B-9BB3-7EA573135C3F.png

Now that's better than anything Magritte or Freud could say. Existentialism and irony all rolled up in one Now that is priceless.

Yes, I know. I was being silly. Cosmic's statement, "thinking a pipe is just a pipe" made me recall the old saying attributed to Freud. As for as Magritte, I love his quote and enjoy using it. In the case above, I reversed it to say, "You know my friend, some time a pipe is just a pipe. "

BUT, here is how google translate understood it to be:

iView attachment 197221

Now that's better than anything Magritte or Freud could say. Existentialism and irony all rolled up in one Now that is priceless.
Actually, Freud said, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
It amazes me how his use of cocaine at a time when cocaine was in sodas and used by most like coffee is made so much of. It doesn't offset the fact that he broke the ground for an area no one else had explored. Psychology was practically non existent before Freud. Sure, his ideas were corrected and enhanced by others over the years. But, even Plato has been amended over the years.

telescopes

For whatever the reason, I enjoy connecting and juxtaposing odd little sayings. Yes, I do know that the original saying is, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." But why not apply that to a pipe? People here are always arguing over pipes. And then, there is the statement from the famous painting of a pipe, "This is not a pipe." To which I amended it to say in French, "a pipe is just a pipe".

Silliness for the sake of a tired brain. But then Google had to trump me with its translation.

I was once lecturing on surrealism based on Freud's dissection of Romance languages, and how everything has a gender. La, le, etc... All nouns in Romance languages have this gender that sometimes changes when the use of the noun changes. A pencil is masculine, because of how it is used, and page is feminine in use mostly. A ship is feminine because you get into the ship. Like parts at a hardware store, bolts are masculine, and nuts are female because of how they are attached. The idea was that things that go into thing are masculine and things that you go into are female. :::cough cough::: So, in surrealism a flower in a vase is not just a flower in a vase. It is an act of fornication caught on canvas.
I held up a marker and asked what it was... the class responded "a man." I responded "yes, because you can violate a piece of paper with it." I had this roll of tape twirling it on my finger, and asked... and they responded, "female," and I said, Yes, because I can put my finger in it."
Badum tish! the classic Freudian slip.

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
How much oxygen deprivation would be considered good for your brain? Any medical/scientific studies around which provide such an amount?

To smoke is simply a selfish decision we smokers have made. Rather than trying to justify such a decision, load your pipe and simply enjoy your wee stab at rebellion. That's what many of us do, live with the risks and enjoy the pipe which can only be defined as a selfish decision. Weigh the risk versus the reward, self-satisfaction, and enjoy your tobacco while watching your moneys waft gently skyward. That's what I do when I'm smoking and not working.
O2 saturation under 90% is considered hypoxia and in a medical situation would certainly be treated initially with supplemental O2.