PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Has Scott over at Aristocob run out of pipe mud. There is no Add to Cart button under the photo of the pkts. of mud.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I learn something new at this site all the time. I had no idea you could buy pipe mud. I have never owned a pipe that needed it. What does something like that cost? I cannot imagine it being a lot.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Apparently it's useful for protecting or raising the floor of a cob, or for filling and protecting cracks or burnout areas in a briar. Here's a good thread on it.

Reactions: edger

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Don't smoke cigars so I use activated charcoal powder and food-grade gum arabic to make pipe mud. Also use the charcoal with super glue to fill tooth dents.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I bought an estate pipe once and the seller used pipe mud in the bottom of the bowl. The first bowl I went to smoke the mud turned to a find powder and filled my mouth. i to this day don’t know what the guy actually did but after scrapping the remainder of the stuff out of the bowl there was no reason at all that he even added it.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Good suggestions… I’ve used organic sour cream and activated charcoal capsules for a coating, which worked fine.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Don't smoke cigars so I use activated charcoal powder and food-grade gum arabic to make pipe mud. Also use the charcoal with super glue to fill tooth dents.
I've done the same - you can also get black cyanoacrylate that works wonders on repairing tooth marks. Buff it out and you can't see it.

Reactions: UB 40

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Apparently it's useful for protecting or raising the floor of a cob, or for filling and protecting cracks or burnout areas in a briar. Here's a good thread on it.

Don't know anything about "pipe mud", but do have some experience with fixing briars.

About 25 years ago I had a Castello Sea Rock calabash that developed a blockage in the draft hole down near the bottom of the bowl. It was stubborn so I decided to bring out the big gun and drill it out using my drill press. For the first and only time in my life I made a measurement error in drilling a pipe and put a hole right through the bottom front of the bowl. So, instead of getting upset or throwing away a nice pipe, I fixed it. I took a large wooden match, covered it with super glue, stuck it all the way in the hold, let it dry and then cut away the excess in the bottom of the bowl, touched up the outside with a black magic marker and that was that. To this day I smoke it frequently and I would defy anyone to spot the repair.

The moral of the story is... don't be to quick to give up on a damaged pipe. puffy

• Love
Reactions: UB 40 and OzPiper

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I just made some to line a pipe that has a section of very fine grain that acts as an open window letting the heat out so the pipe can't be touched. It even bubbled the varnish it was so hot with sipping. I'm hoping a layer of protection will tone down the heat in that section so I don't get a burn out.