PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
>> My old Missouri Meerschaum Legacy Corn Cob Pipe is starting to look a little thin in the bottom. And I'm afraid it's going to burn through.

I heard that you could extend the life of your Corn Cob Pipe by placeing Pipe Mud in the bottom of the bow. So my question is what is Pipe Mud. What's it made of? Where can I get some; and who sells it? Have any of ya'll put Pipe Mud in your Corn Cob Pipes ?? .... taztime :)

legend-bent-new-missouri-meerschaum-corn-cob-pipe-aristocob.jpg

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
pipe-aristocob-logo.gif

>>
Found this video by Aristocob.

That gives a good demonstration on how use his formula to make, and use Pipe Mud. -- taztime :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gneJFOx9K8

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Hey roth, thanks for the recipe! I was looking for a proper one but wasn't in a hurry so I didn't ask.

Take a drive to pick up a couple nice cigars tomorrow morning before work I think :)

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
pipe-mud-burnout.jpg

>> I'm still trying to locate some quality cigar ashes so I can make some pipe mud for my corn cob pipe. I emailed Scott at Aristocob for some; but I haven't heard form him yet. I don't smoke cigars .... so with that in mind what I would like to ask any of you cigar smokers out there if you could be so kind as to send me a couple of packages of quality cigar ashes. I would be more then willing to pay you for some quality cigar ashes. .... -- taztime :worship:

My mailing address is as follows:

taztime

633 Texas street

Longview, Texas 75601

email - taztime@att.net

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
>> Making of Pipe Mud

smoking-pipe-icon.gif

>> If you have an old pipe that Is SHOWING the beginnings of a burnout spot or the

bottom of the bowl is below the draft hole, here is a quick, easy and

effective way of fixing the problem. If the burnout is through to the

outside, this repair method may not work, but works really well on those

spots that are beginning to burnout and will prevent additional damage.

The pipe to the right is beyond help of pipe mud, but if caught early…it

could have been saved.

1. Get some very fine ash. This can be from a good quality cigar or

pipe ash. To get a fine ash, you may want to grind it a bit in a mortar and pestle (or back side of

a spoon in a small bowl). Using a small kitchen strainer and the back side of spoon work’s well

too.

2. You’ll need some tap water and liquid Sodium Silicate (Sodium Metasilicate, Na2SiO3). Liquid

Sodium Silicate (a.k.a. water glass or liquid glass) can be purchased from Amazon.com for $15.95

for a pint. You’ll also need an eye dropper, a small mixing bowl, a spoon and a small pocket knife

with a long thin blade.

3. Add 3 to 6 drops of Sodium Silicate to a small amount of fine ash and mix well with the spoon.

The mixture will quickly become very stiff, but don’t add to much Sodium Silicate. You DON’T

want a thin, runny paste. The best consistency is like damp cement.

4. You want to create a stiff, glossy paste.

5. Make sure the pipe bowl is clean and dry.

a. Low Bottom: Drop a small amount of mud into the bottom of the bowl and tamp

very gently. Repeat (if necessary) until the mud is level with the bottom of the draft

hole. Placing a pipe cleaner in the air hole will help with gauging the level.

b. Burnout (side walls/bottom): If the repair

is a burnout along the side or bottom of

the pipe, use the pocket knife or oil

painter’s trowel (a very small tool used by

people who oil paint for mixing paint color

– available in hobby shops). Scoop up a

small amount of mud and trowel it into the

burnout. If it’s a deep burnout, you may

have to pack several thin layers to completely fill it in.

6. Smooth the mud with the knife edge or finger and allow the pipe to dry for a couple of days

before smoking.

7. When it’s dry, it will be absolutely rock hard. If there is an excessively rough surface, you can use

some fine sandpaper to smooth it out.

8. Congratulations…you’ve just fixed your favorite pipe. Sit back and enjoy!

Patching Note: I personally used the patching “mud” on an old Pre-Trans Barling that was badly

charred on the side and back walls. Since the charring was deep, I applied two layers of the mud and

to look at it now, you’d never know there was a burnout spot fixed. The pipe smokes great!

Status
Not open for further replies.