PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I never used ashes.

I've done it by reaming pipe carbon out, mixing the carbon with honey, then filling the hole with this cement, letting it dry for a day, then smoking it. Sometimes it takes two treatments.

This is interesting, are you also grinding the carbon into a finer powder?

I don't do my own reaming at all and the few times I've seen it done it seems to come out in chunks that I wouldn't guess would be manageable for mud making.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
This is interesting, are you also grinding the carbon into a finer powder?

I don't do my own reaming at all and the few times I've seen it done it seems to come out in chunks that I wouldn't guess would be manageable for mud making.
I don't know what to say. It's always been a fine powder when I've done it. But, if it wasn't, I suppose it would be pretty easy to break up further.

Reactions: lightxmyfire

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
What are you reaming with? All I've ever seen when cleaning up estates is black powder.

I've never reamed my own pipes, so far I've only needed to have it done on one and I sent it to SATX Pipe who did a great job.

My thought there came from a few videos I've seen of other people doing it, where I saw some chunks in there, and one time I had some cake flake off the side of the above pipe after a smoke and It was a little potato chip crumb sized chunk. looked like a little charcoal Australia.

I'm guessing the way I had been forming the cake in that pipe, and maybe the smokers in the videos, as well, had been creating a not well adhered flakey cake, since it seems it's not usually supposed to be chunky haha

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
I once bought an old bulldog of eBay, cleaned it up but didn't like the finish so with youthful vigor I proceeded to file and sand back the staining and terriable transferred finish that was , as I found out , hiding a big patch of bog . With same youthful lack of patience or experience, thought, I'll did that out , exposing an even bigger hole . In saying all this , the ugly pipe with no name had become a favorite for the simple reason I seemed to be able to wack anything in it and it smoked like a steam train , so I had to fix it , read abit about pipe mud , mixed some up and plugged the hole , let it dry and packed it full , that was a bit over 12 years ago and the ugly pipe with no name is still a favorite and still smoking strong .

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
It’s funny I thought about starting a thread about this. I never found cigar ash and water worked very well for me. I use this. It’s called Hydo-stone. It’s plaster of Paris on steroids. It consists of plaster of Paris and a form of Portland cement. I know most would not have ever herd of this, but I use it in another hobby all the time. I just used this past weekend on a Sasieni I got. I noticed how hot the bottom of the pipe got after the first bowl. I smoked it this weekend and same. It looked it was on it’s way to a burn out. I mixed up a batch. And well here it is. I do mix it with ash just for color. I smoked a few bowls and no problems. I have used this before on some pipes. I never posted about it because hydrostone is such a obscure product, nobody but me would have laying around. If others are interested. I would gladly sent a few scoops. This stuff sets really quick and gets rock hard. It does self level. 66516E91-2858-4E2C-85F8-5BA2B3386A93.jpegCCC2E057-1557-49B4-8AC8-12AC845D6C3D.jpegB9029936-ECDC-4CEF-9CF5-B8D00AFF7ADB.jpeg

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
Sorry for the stupid question but won’t cigar ash cause a little remnant smell? I’ve never throught of something like Hydro-Stone but would never be able to find the small quantity I’d need for my small collection. I thought abut trying this with some new cobbs I have coming my way.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Sorry for the stupid question but won’t cigar ash cause a little remnant smell? I’ve never throught of something like Hydro-Stone but would never be able to find the small quantity I’d need for my small collection. I thought abut trying this with some new cobbs I have coming my way.

I was worried about this too, and the cigar ash did; on the first smoke, add a little hint of cigar, but I haven't detected it again since the second, third, fourth... you get the point. Also, the empty pipe itself doesn't smell like cigar or cigar ash either! So far I'm very happy with the results!

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I was worried about this too, and the cigar ash did; on the first smoke, add a little hint of cigar, but I haven't detected it again since the second, third, fourth... you get the point. Also, the empty pipe itself doesn't smell like cigar or cigar ash either! So far I'm very happy with the results!
The stuff hardens like concrete and I have never noticed any residual taste or smell

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
I tried pipe mudding some cobs for the first time. I used cigar ash and water. Mixed it to the consistency you want from what I’ve read. Let it sit for 3 days. It doesn’t seem that solid? Did I miss something? Do I try and take out the mixture or just smoke it?

i tried to get a pic but couldn’t get a good one. It shows that you can move the mud around.

B9F363B5-53A5-4B08-B1A4-D0B6D5B251B8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.