PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Hey everyone,

I've got a MM Charles Towne Cobbler, it came with a pretty decent gap in front of an under the draft hole which usually leaves a little pile of unsmokable leaves. I finally decided that I was tired of the "loss" and to try and pipe mud the gap. This is my first time even making or using pipe mud and I did some reading and found what seemed like a pretty straight forward process.

I smoked a nice Nub Habano, saved the ash, and the next day mixed it with water until I had a kind of thick but still wet lump of "mud". It filled in the gap nicely, and I've let it sit to dry for about 24 hours now, it's drier than it was but it is still a little soft, I can poke little dents in it with my pipe tool and scrape little bits out if mimicking a tobacco removal.

My questions are thus; Does it just need to dry longer or have I done something wrong? Is this stuff supposed to be like hard clay down there? I'm thinking maybe I had it too wet, to begin with?

All advice is much appreciated, thanks all!

Mud 1.jpgMud 2.jpgMud 3.jpg

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I've mudded a few pipes, and every time I've done it the mud has been sort of fragile for a couple days. I've noticed that smoking the pipe with something you know will burn easily (CH, PA, SWR..etc) will tend to set the mud, and help deposit a layer of carbon over the top. After a few bowls you won't know where pipe begins and mud ends.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I've mudded a few pipes, and every time I've done it the mud has been sort of fragile for a couple days. I've noticed that smoking the pipe with something you know will burn easily (CH, PA, SWR..etc) will tend to set the mud, and help deposit a layer of carbon over the top. After a few bowls you won't know where pipe begins and mud ends.

Thank you! I'll give it another day of rest and then smoke a few bowls of something and report back!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I’ve used the controversial hardwood fireplace ash. Imagine pipe smokers concerned by toxins! Anyway, I sift the ash and use small amounts of water until the mixture “peaks” and stays. It doesn’t settle at all. I put pipe cleaner in stem and apply the mud,reshape the draft hole with pipe nail and let dry for 48 hours. Oh, I don’t bother with cutting out the stem extension at bottom of bowl.

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
Hey everyone,

I've got a MM Charles Towne Cobbler, it came with a pretty decent gap in front of an under the draft hole which usually leaves a little pile of unsmokable leaves. I finally decided that I was tired of the "loss" and to try and pipe mud the gap. This is my first time even making or using pipe mud and I did some reading and found what seemed like a pretty straight forward process.

I smoked a nice Nub Habano, saved the ash, and the next day mixed it with water until I had a kind of thick but still wet lump of "mud". It filled in the gap nicely, and I've let it sit to dry for about 24 hours now, it's drier than it was but it is still a little soft, I can poke little dents in it with my pipe tool and scrape little bits out if mimicking a tobacco removal.

My questions are thus; Does it just need to dry longer or have I done something wrong? Is this stuff supposed to be like hard clay down there? I'm thinking maybe I had it too wet, to begin with?

All advice is much appreciated, thanks all!

View attachment 43969View attachment 43970View attachment 43971
If so as you mention: give it at least another 7 Days or even more to dry ( cure ).;)

Reactions: lightxmyfire

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
I’ve not really had cause to ‘mud’ any pipes just yet, but I do remember reading someone recommending a little blob refractory cement once. Not sure how that would age over time but it’d certainly plug gaps and be good for the heat. ?

Reactions: lightxmyfire

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I’ve used the controversial hardwood fireplace ash. Imagine pipe smokers concerned by toxins! Anyway, I sift the ash and use small amounts of water until the mixture “peaks” and stays. It doesn’t settle at all. I put pipe cleaner in stem and apply the mud,reshape the draft hole with pipe nail and let dry for 48 hours. Oh, I don’t bother with cutting out the stem extension at bottom of bowl.

Based on what you said about the peaks, it sounds like I had it wetter. Mine was stiff enough to roll into a ball and hold it's shape for maybe 45 seconds but it was still settling back into a sort of formless blob after a minute or so, made a real nice flat surface in the bowl after a few taps too.

It seems like my next step is definitly to let it set a bit longer and then give it a few smokes.

I contemplated the hardwood ash idea as well! Good to see someone who's tried it is still alive! haha Had a fire in the fire place a few nights ago, but then I realized I hadn't cleaned it in a while and at some point, we had burned one of those endura logs and I thought I'd better clean it first and make sure it's only hardwood ash before I test that one myself haha

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Based on what you said about the peaks, it sounds like I had it wetter. Mine was stiff enough to roll into a ball and hold it's shape for maybe 45 seconds but it was still settling back into a sort of formless blob after a minute or so, made a real nice flat surface in the bowl after a few taps too.

It seems like my next step is definitly to let it set a bit longer and then give it a few smokes.

I contemplated the hardwood ash idea as well! Good to see someone who's tried it is still alive! haha Had a fire in the fire place a few nights ago, but then I realized I hadn't cleaned it in a while and at some point, we had burned one of those endura logs and I thought I'd better clean it first and make sure it's only hardwood ash before I test that one myself haha
It only takes a few bowls to lose that delightful hickory aroma! Seriously, the mud gets very hard. I’ve used it in briars that were drilled too high in the tobacco chamber.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Curious: Why do some insist on cigar ash, when good pipe ash is so plentiful and available?
They say cigar ash is more coarse and makes a denser mud. I've used both as well as cigarette ash in the past and noticed no difference.

On a side note, a friend of mine in high school decades ago, fashioned an ashtray from a brick of cigarette ash and water in shop class, and that thing lasted for years.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I never used ashes.

I've done it by reaming pipe carbon out, mixing the carbon with honey, then filling the hole with this cement, letting it dry for a day, then smoking it. Sometimes it takes two treatments.

Status
Not open for further replies.