PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
In raising the bottom of a chamber to better match the draft hole, is it better to apply the mud to a dry bowl or should it be slightly dampened? Thanks

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I would highly recommend reading this article and using pipe cement! Soon as I locate my camera, I'll post pictures of my saved basket briar. And yes, regardless of path you take do let the pipe dry well so the mud/cement is the correct size of the bottom of your bowl.
Oops... almost forgot the link...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-mud-and-pipe-cement-warning-giant-post

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
...some folks actually like a higher draft hole. Drier smoke...
Thanks for the link orion, I have a Wally Frank Chadwick bent with an interior bowl crack I want to fill.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
TopD, normally I would agree with you but I have an estate that was drilled with the draft hole a good way above the bottom of the chamber. It's enough that it leaves a significant plug of unsmoked tobacco behind.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Batdemon... I see what you all are talking about and I understand the reasoning behind it. But in my mind, that's good reason to just put the pipe on display, pass it on to a novice or beginner, or toss it.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Use fireplace cement comes in tan or black,good for 1100degs I fixed an ascoti, old freehand one made by peppino,digging the Dottle out they had made a an indention way below the draft hole I got a cartridge of Dap firestove cement an dabbed a little in the bottom, got the hair dryer and got a skin on it, loaded it up and started puffing,when it went down to the ash I left it in and loaded it up again, cures with heat,when that smoke finished I left the ash in and let it sit. Good smoker now bottom slightly below the draft hole,by the way this cement is only silicate, what they make glass with. Worked fine Tbradsim the old cajun

Reactions: Scottmi

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I would highly recommend reading this article and using pipe cement!
+1 I read this article and learned alot about fixing a jacked up bowl. I found a very sharp looking Peterson bulldog (pre republic too) for 9 bucks on eBay. it was so cheap because there was a "tight" crack on the bottom of the bowl. I lined the bowl with cement and filled the crack with some wood putty and the pipe is like new. When friends see this pipe they are amazed that I found it so cheap. I love a good fixer upper.

Status
Not open for further replies.