PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CocI<King

Lurker
Sep 23, 2024
Hello Everyone, Wrong section to post this but i'll introduce myself a little in short i've been smoking pipes for 6 months i am pretty new to it but i've smoked cigars for 16 years. I recently started to smoke corn cobs after buying a dozen Briar Pipes. Last week i watched CaneRodpiper video about pipe mortar to Mod one of my cob. I mixed everything right with precision but everytime the mix is drying it all crumble back to powder is the plaster bad or something. I tried everything more water less water..... Sorry for my English im French from Canada. Thank You All

Reactions: The Libertine

The Libertine

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2024
Paris, France and NYC
Hello Everyone, Wrong section to post this but i'll introduce myself a little in short i've been smoking pipes for 6 months i am pretty new to it but i've smoked cigars for 16 years. I recently started to smoke corn cobs after buying a dozen Briar Pipes. Last week i watched CaneRodpiper video about pipe mortar to Mod one of my cob. I mixed everything right with precision but everytime the mix is drying it all crumble back to powder is the plaster bad or something. I tried everything more water less water..... Sorry for my English im French from Canada. Thank You All
Nice to have you in the forum. I'm from Paris and split my time between there and NYC.

Using a scale as @BrightDarkEyes is what you need. A list of ingredients and pictures always helps.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

CocI<King

Lurker
Sep 23, 2024
I mesured everything right with a scale im doing the experiment by curiosity the cob is new. The plaster looks hard and smooth by itself but when i add in the charcoal its like there is to much of it its flaking of and breaking. I will try too cut back on charcoal and disolve the salt in water before hand.

The list is 1g plaster 0.6g activated charcoal and 0.5g table salt his original recipe

Attachments

• 20240924_115328.jpg
    20240924_115328.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240924_120353.jpg
    20240924_120353.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve used a Forster bit to remove the bit of wooden shank that sticks into the bowl on new cobs. It’s going to burn away anyways. That leaves a flat bottom on day one. No problems with the bottom burning out after many years, no pipe mud required.