PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
What is this tool and where can I get one? Ive seen 1/4, 1/2, etc motors, but I dont know much about the arbor/wheel, and Im having a hard time finding any information.
I wasnt sure where to put this post, but I thought this would be the best category.
1673632086706.png

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Search Craigslist for half to one horsepower ac motors that run on household 110v ac. You can order a rheostatic control (like a light dimmer, but that would melt, so don't try it) once you have the motor and know the specs. Or the FVD suggested above.

You can also search for disc sanders. The stationary type would just need a new platen.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Be aware that VFD's must be EXACTLY matched to a particular motor, so while you can find an old 3-phase fridge or washing machine motor for cheap, the same is not true for an old VFD unless you have nothing better to do for the next ten years than search and wait for the right one to pop up on Craigslist.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Be aware that VFD's must be EXACTLY matched to a particular motor, so while you can find an old 3-phase fridge or washing machine motor for cheap, the same is not true for an old VFD unless you have nothing better to do for the next ten years than search and wait for the right one to pop up on Craigslist.
3-phase? In my experience smaller motors are all single phase or pseudo 2-phase (capacitor run) 3-phase is usually 220v or greater...

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
VFDs only work for 3-phase motors.
Once upon a time yes, but there are loads of single phase VFD’s on the market now. What you can’t do is use a VFD on a 110/120 only motor. It needs to be a 240vac single phase. They even make single phase motors that are especially designed to be used with VFD’s. But in my opinion a DC servo is a better option for on tap speed control. You can harvest these for cheap from old treadmills along with their speed controls, but it takes some crafty lathe work to make an arbor for em.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
This is how you know you're gettin' old. rotf
The Europeans have been using single phase (400vac) VFD’s since the 80’s. They only became popular in North America about 10years ago. They work pretty well but they do have a relatively short life expectancy in an industrial setting. There’s even a few VFD’s on the market that will run a delta motor on a 120vac primary, but they’re not optimal.