PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with pipe maker Doug Finlay. Doug started making pipes as a hobby in 2017 since he enjoyed smoking a pipe so much. After only two years, in 2019 one of Doug’s pipes was one of seven winners in the 2019 North American Pipe Carvers Contest at the The Greater Kansas City Pipe & Tobacco Show. He is a full time pipe maker now. In Pipe Parts, Brian will have a show report from last weekend’s North American Society of Pipe Collectors show.

The show airs every Tuesday at 8:00pm eastern US time, and can be found at PipesMagazine.com and all podcast apps.

Doug-Finaly.jpg

Reactions: shanez

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm always pleasantly surprised at how Brian manages to capture the essence of people on his show.

I say "pleasantly" because the entertainment biz in general is about Selling Stuff first, and whether or not things are presented literally truthfully is secondary. (I've met some TV show types who've explained how editing can be used to make anyone appear good, evil, etc---whatever they want---and since what the audience hears is literally the speaker's own words, they think it's the truth.)

Anyway, that sort of thing is not how Brian works at all. I'm sure because I've known a number of his interview subjects for many years, and have never caught even a whiff of edit games. What you hear is what you get (to audio-ize the aphorism).

Bravo

As for Doug, yup, he's mellow, laid back, very bright, has a delightful sense of humor, has superhuman 3D reasoning and "tool sense", and I've never known him to get upset by anything. He also is a competiton-level BBQ chef, and likes cats in general and Savannah Cats in particular.

I have two of his pipes and they are spectacular. They are also distinctively unique without being gimmicky in the slightest.

That he made them both within two years of starting to carve is flat-out astonishing. (The only other guy I can think of who got up to speed that fast is Micah Cryder)

Here's one of them, posted as a link so you can read what some established carvers thought of it at the time, as well as my description of how it smokes:

Now for something completely different... - pipemakersforum.com - http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12453

So. Again, great job Brian. :) When I heard Doug was coming on your show I wondered if a soft-spoken, modest, gentle-humored guy could even BE interviewed in a way that engaged and entertained a radio audience. I needn't have worried. puffy

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Had a good time last Saturday at the show. Saw Brian with his phone/camera live streaming outside - is that video viewable anywhere? YouTube?
Had a pipe and chatted a bit with Tyler Beard, that was pleasant.

Just dawned on me while listening today that Wayne Powers is who he is. I remember when he was interviewed on the radio show. I bought a great tin from him over the weekend and we chatted a bit. What an engaging gentleman!

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
It is always nice to hear from new pipe makers and get an idea of their background as oftentimes it dictates their pipe making philosophy. I will have to check out Doug's pipes on Instagram and at the next pipe show that I can make it to. It sounds like his attention to detail regarding stems is particularly welcome.

Regarding the NASPC show, I had similar sentiments as you Brian. I walked in with a pocket full of cash, only to walk out with two tins that I shouldn't have paid that much for. It was great seeing everyone though and that's more important than the deals.

Thanks again Brian for a great show,

Jason