PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Does anyone keep a pipe log? If so what all do you put in it? I have been putting mine in a spiral notebook for years . Just brand name, model , style, when purchased and how much I paid. Does anyone else have a better method? Is there a pipe log out there? Just curious. Thanks in advance .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I keep an Excel Spreadsheet of my tobacco, including notes, personal ratings, composition of blend, and some other things.

However; I do keep one pipe log:
NewBegining-1.jpg

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
I carry around a little notebook that I record all my pipe-related thoughts in. the date, which tobacco I smoked in which pipes, prices of pipes and tobaccos, things I've learned about the history of pipes and tobacco and pipe culture etc. as a way to just enjoy the hobby more, and eventually to look back and laugh at what a greenhorn I used to be :D

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I've kept a log for several years including the name of the tobacco, the date the tin is opened, the number of bowls I get out of the tin (a hash mark each time I smoke) and the date I finish the tin. I do it mainly so I can estimate how much I smoke and how much I should cellar.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I created an excel spreadsheet which allows me to log the pipes I buy and sell.
I use it to track the following data: Picture, Maker, Origin Country, Pipe Marks, Stem Marks, Weight, bowl height, bowl width, chamber depth, chamber width, total length, shape, finish, stem material, stinger/filter/condenser, condition, price paid, price sold.
My family thinks I'm a little bit :crazy: but it helps me keep track of what I'm spending, and what's coming back in. It let's me truly tell if my hobby is paying for itself.
-- Pat

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yep Irish, I do the very same thing! I also keep a tobacco log kinda like Lawrence does.
Oh, by the way Lawrence, I love the " pipe log", or should I say log pipe!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I keep track of my pipes and baccy in the cabinet, or the computer desk, or the counter, or the drawer, or the shelf, or the glove compartment in the truck, etc.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I keep an excel spreadsheet with the tobaccos listed on top and then the pipes a little lower. I list all of my smokes with a date and a note below each pipe so I know how long each has been resting and what is better with what.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Love the pipe log Lawrence !! Thanks guys I may try to do a spreadsheet but I am not the best at computer stuff , never turns out the way I want it to ! I have been smoking and collecting now for over twenty years and I'm still surprised at how much I learn every day about pipes and pipe history .

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I remember seeing one on ebay that looked like a daily planner on the out side, and then had extensive questionaire style info sheets on the inside, cant seem to find it now. I considered getting it at the time, but of course didn't.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I feel like I track and document a lot of business, so I conscientiously avoid logging my pipe smoking sessions. I do like

the idea of logging in at least pipe purchases. At least in recent years, I might be able to do that by digging out invoices.

The tobacco comes and goes. I don't want to track it, though I may have regrets now and then. I do write my home

mixes (blends) in my calendar, just in case I forget what all went in a good batch.

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
Impressive all. I'm too lazy to do all that. I walk up to my pipe stand, look longingly at a pipe, pick it out, stuff it full of whichever baccy is handy. Go sit on the deck, light it, tamp it and watch the humming birds.....

Hey, I'm old and very retired..... I smoke to think, relax and get a nicotine jolt. Pleasure, to me, doesn't involve a lot of details.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
On occasion, I sit on a log to smoke a pipe. I also have a file folder with purchase info and pix... plus a notebook I keep for pipe noodlings and recording pipe trivia/history, etc.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I had the idea of logging both my pipes and tobacco in a grad journal of discovery, from what I bought and when to the taste at various ages etc. To this day I have one entry, the very first...

Status
Not open for further replies.