PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Most pipes are roughly 15cm long. Give or take.
Churchwardens are really long.
Are there any sizes in between?
The only ones I seem to have come across are some of the cobbit series (dwarf, shire, elf).

Reactions: fireground_piper

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Are you in search of longer pipes? Or is this just a curious musing?

I think, over time a general consensus was reached amongst pipe makers on length. Probably a practicality issue.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Look at enough pipes, you can probably find stems and stems and shanks in nearly ever conceivable length between the longest and the shortest, whatever those may be.

I have a clay pipe and churchwardens. One of my favorite long-stemmed pipes, but shorter than a full-sized churchwarden is a Savinelli "Prince of Wales, that is a little longer than a Bing's or Ginger's favorite, but still not in churchwarden territory, that is of course a prince shape.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I have a couple clay pipes that are 8 inches. And a 7 inch briar. My longest is a Ropp churchwarden cutty, at 11.5...but there are churchwardens several inches longer that I am debating about getting. I saw a Mr Brog pearwood at 9. So there are in-between sizes if you want to look hard enough.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
'Reader' pipes are like short churchwardens, typically 17-18cm long. They're so called because they're considered short enough to allow you to read a book while smoking one.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I've actually got quite few old estates that are less than 15cm, so if the musing includes shorter, there are plenty to be found. In a straight stem, in particular, I like the slightly shorter and compact.